Looking for an amp with Fender cleans and br00tal gain

arexjay

• Members

fender clean and BREWTAL GAIN

that s a Rivera you want:D

I play a knucklehead reverb...channel 3 is slipknot...channel 2 is marshall...channel 1 is fender clean

the 6l6 version is great for indie type stuff....sounds great with a jazzmaster or daneElectro...or semi-hollowbody guitars etc....loves p-90s

• Members

find a carvin x100b and any (i mean any) boost/drive to make things brutal. with 2 active eq's to play with, the brutality can be tweaked for the most bone-crushing tones.

and the clean channel, as well as the verb, made my twin reverb quite angry (that it was being replaced). clean until 6-7 on the dial in 50w mode, up till 8ish on the 100w mode.

built like tanks, and no need for biasing. can be had for $300 give or take all day, in head or combo form.

• Members

Originally posted by Esperanto

fender clean and BREWTAL GAIN

that s a Rivera you want:D

I play a knucklehead reverb...channel 3 is slipknot...channel 2 is marshall...channel 1 is fender clean

the 6l6 version is great for indie type stuff....sounds great with a jazzmaster or daneElectro...or semi-hollowbody guitars etc....loves p-90s

I saw this band Forget Cassettes the other day, the frontwoman played an SG through a Rivera head and Fender cab...sick tone, absolutely sick tone. Zero gain pedals.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

find a carvin x100b and any (i mean
any
) boost/drive to make things brutal. with 2 active eq's to play with, the brutality can be tweaked for the most bone-crushing tones.

and the clean channel, as well as the verb, made my twin reverb quite angry (that it was being replaced). clean until 6-7 on the dial in 50w mode, up till 8ish on the 100w mode.

built like tanks, and no need for biasing. can be had for $300 give or take all day, in head or combo form.

I was checking out the clips for these @ Carvin just the other day. I thought they sounded good and seem like quite the deal for the price they're charging.

$370 for a 3 channel 100w 2x12' :eek:

I wish they had more distortion setting clips though.

• Members

another +1 for Rivera.

The guy used to work for Fender so he definitely knows how to get Fender cleans!

I used to have a Knucklehead Reverb 100 and the cleans were friggin amazing. The gain channel was too too dark for my tastes but it conquers the brOOtal-ness with ease.

Plus it had a great reverb and a very versatile eq. I could get rock, blues, metal, surf, funk, and anyother tone I wanted out of it.

I still have my Rivera M-60 combo as my small gig amp. Fender cleans and Marshall/Orange crunch mang.

• Members

I have also owned many-an-amp and I feel that if you have a sound in your head for both clean and "brutal," you'll never be satisfied with one amp. You'll either be compromising your cleans or your distortion. I had to save my pennies to get a great clean amp (marshall bluesbreaker reissue) AND a great distortion amp (old marshall jmp).

But if you must compromise and get an amp that does both clean and distortion, I must say the recent Sunn Model T's are pretty impressive (if you can find one). I've owned two of them...they have amazing cleans (because they were made by Fender) and the distortion is better than any fender distortion I've ever heard.

Also, definitely check out the Rivera's....I've never owned one but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

• Members

I have a Fender SuperSonic. I love it, but I wouldn't call it a high-gan brutal amp. Likewise, I've only owned one Rivera, a Fandango, and was very unimpressed with its distortion.

Seems more like one of the Mesas is what you want. An F-50 or Rectoverb perhaps.

• Members

Peavey Triple XXX combo. I never liked the head but the combo sounds very good.

I had a '65 Twin ri, a Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo and a XXX 2x12 combo sitting next to each other in my shop. After listening to a coupla dozen customers do their version of the 2x12 shootout, I think the XXX does both the best.

The cleans were damn near as nice as the Twin and the hi gain sounds were better than the T-verb, IMHO.

Archived