Steve Winwood - Arc Of A Diver question

TowJam

• Members

IMO one of the best Winwood records, before he whored himself out to cheesy Michelob jingles.

I remember a defunkt (Keyboard Player?) mag that was trying to compete with "Keyboard" by being more "low-brow" and accessible. This mag had a an article and transcription on that song and to the best of my senile memory, it said something other than a Moog synth was used. So I guess THAT settles that.

:D

A far more relative point I would like to make is that other anaolg synths could approximate a growly sax pretty well. I was in a band (circa '86) with a guy that had a Sequential Circuits 6-Trak and he did a pretty damn good sax for the intro to a Glen Frye ballad of that era. (Don't remember the title , as I said, senility aggravated by 100-proof vodka). Damn, if that ridiculous post doesn't kill this thread nothing will....

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

Arc of a Diver was also recorded before the Prophet-10 went into production. And my recollection comes from the Keyboard mag interview, which I have at home. I do not recall mention of Prophet-5 in that interview.

Well, shoot me!:freak:;)

All I can say is that on page 82 of the June 2006 issue of Keyboard magazine, in their "Vintage Sounds" article, it mentions a Prophet 5 or 10. If the Prophet 10 wasn't out yet, that rules that out.

edit: According to All Music, AoaD came out in 1981, and the Prophet 10 also came out that year (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar99/articles/retroprophet.htm).

end edit:

Not sure where the author, Mitchell Sigman, got the info.

If you check the video to "While You See a Chance" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I27hqe3d6gM) it looks like a Prophet-10 (I can't tell for sure, but some more knowledgable forumites might be able to tell)....but that doesn't mean that's what it was recorded with.

Hey, I could be wrong. Just passing along the info I have.:D

• Members
A far more relative point I would like to make is that other anaolg synths could approximate a growly sax pretty well.

Agreed - but what really jumped out at me at the time this album came out ("album" - showing my age) is that Winwood wasn't trying to emulate the sound of the sax but rather the phrasing of a sax - and he pretty much nails it. I'm guessing this is a product of his R&B background.

• Members

Ok, here's the word on this. I am right now looking at the June 1981 issue of Keyboard Mag with Winwood on the cover. The whole article from pp 48-60 is all about Arc Of A Diver. I'll quote a couple of comments here:

Q: "What instruments did you use for the bass?"

A: " I used a Multimoog and I think I used a Minimoog on a couple of the cuts..."

Q: "Did you use a Multimoog for that solo with the hard-edged tone in 'While You See A Chance?'"

A: "Right. I can't remember the wave shape. It was fairly square. But I did use a filter pedal to give it kind of a phased texture..."

Q: "Did you use the CS-80 for many of the violin sounds on Arc?"

A: "Yes, quite a few of them. I used the Prophet as well."

Q: "Do you devise many of the programs on your Prophet?"

A: "No. I used a Prophet on Arc Of A Diver, but it was rented because I was waiting to buy one with perfect temperament...I read somewhere that the new model Prophet-5 can be tuned to unequal temperaments and that intrigued me so much that I hope to be working on things using those kinds of scales...I'm not sure whether I'll get the Prophet-5 or -10 or wait for a new one to come along..."

I'm getting tired of typing verbatim quotes, but there is also some info about Winwood's use of Hammond C-3 and how he did have a Polymoog, but had to sell it to finance the CS-80.

Hope that helps de-mystify things.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by TowJam

Thanks Eric.

So The Real MC was spot on - Multimoog and CS80.

hail.gif

Yep, and Prophet too.

I watched that video on YouTube and it does look like a P-10 in the video, but that was obviously just for looks (not plugged in or anything).

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by flattop

It's a DX7.

That's what I thought at first. But, at the 3:00 mark in the vid, you can see some type of display on top of the keyboard. I can't tell if it's built into the keyboard or if it's an accessory.

I didn't know Hulk Hogan played drums for Steve.

No {censored}. I did a doubletake the first time the camera showed him.

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

He plays a DX7 but is he using it as a MIDI controller for modules offstage...?

I'll have to dig up a subsequent Keyboard Mag to look for clues on that. I did check out the video and it looks like a DX7II with the ribs on the side and the way the white logo is inscribed on top. I have a foggy memory of reading a short interview with Winwood or perhaps a tech who said that when he played "The Finer Things" live he used a DX7 as a controller MIDI'd up to not one, but TWO Minimoogs. If he has Minis offstage, that seems like a real logistical nightmare with no flexibility for on-the-fly tweaking, unless he is just using the one sound all night (or has an offstage keyboard guy). Which is quite likely if you consider the lead synth for Arc, Valerie and Finer is basically the same sound.

Regards,

Eric

• Members

Funny, I never thought of the "While You See A Chance" lead sound as a "saxophone" sound, I think of it as just a synth lead sound, but I do like the horn-like phrasing he does with it.

I probably mentioned this to death already on this forum, but there's a patch on the DSS-1 that has this sound absolutely nailed. And Steve used the DSS-1 for a while in the mid/late 80s, and he also endorsed it in Keyboard magazine.

Archived