the clean tones of jeff buckley

Pwn3d

• Members

Jesus, I was way off on what amps I thought he used. I thought he was Fender Twin Reverb all the way. Vibroverb is close I guess, but Dual Rectifier combo (tremoverb I assume)? Hey, maybe they mean the Blue Angel or Maverick? They are a part of the "dual rectifier" labeled Mesas (oddly enough).

taco

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

The HyperFuzz always baffled me. I owned one years ago and couldn't get a usable sound out of it. Then again, I have vocal cords and can't sing like Jeff Buckley, so... eh...

The sound that he gets in the middle of So Real wouldn't be considered very usable to most. That is probably the sort of stuff he uses it for.

The whammy with microphones is confusing, did he use the whammy on his voice? If so, on what song? I can't think of an example?

Oh snap! He uses a Fender Bassman 135 head just like I do. I was noticing the other day that I could a very Grace like overdrive/distortion when I pushed the pre amp hard enough with my blues driver and playing my LP custom copy. No wonder!

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

I've read in a Guitar Techniques mag that it's an '82ish model. Probably a reissue type of deal...I think...

If you look at the headstock logo it is NOT a vintage model at all. Bucketboy is right....80's model with a top loader bridge. Started out with all original pickups then Jeff went and put some kind of single blade bridge pickup in there.

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

The sound that he gets in the middle of So Real wouldn't be considered very usable to most. That is probably the sort of stuff he uses it for.

The whammy with microphones is confusing, did he use the whammy on his voice? If so, on what song? I can't think of an example?

Oh snap! He uses a Fender Bassman 135 head just like I do. I was noticing the other day that I could a very Grace like overdrive/distortion when I pushed the pre amp hard enough with my blues driver and playing my LP custom copy. No wonder!

he didn't use the tele for so real... jeff used his rick and michael used jeffs les paul.

The intro to so real is an awesome example of les paul tone... it's always overlooked though because jeff was synonymous with the tele

• Members

he has beautiful reverb, you can see him adjusting settings on his amps on the live at chicago dvd (awesome concert), i also so really love the little sounds at the beginning of dream brother where it sounds as if a string has snagged while he's adjusting the tuning knob or something like that its very awesome.

• Members

I admit - I'm only encountering Jeff Buckley recordings at an agonizingly slow rate. This means I only own "Live at Sin-e" and have listened to "Grace" a time or two.

But let's talk "Live at Sin-e." That's a Tele? Through some kind of Fender? I own a Tele. A late 80's Japanese Tele. I like it. A lot. But it is bright. Spanky, sometimes bordering on ice-picky bright. I can turn the treble on any amp down all the way and still not get the warmth of tone I hear Jeff acheiving on "Live at Sin-e." So WTF is going on there? Or WFT am I doing wrong? These are the quetsions I ponder.

Ian

• Members

i get the perfect live at the sin e tone from this...

A deluxe us tele (middle PU position with the S1 in series) into a TS808 clone on very low gain with the tone at about 2 o'clock.

Then feed that into a fender protubes concert with the treb at 8, the bass at 7 and the mid at 7 turned up as loud as i dare and then turn the guitar volume down to about 2.

perfect

:love:

• 1 year later...

Archived