Boss Sd-1 As Boost ?

the new guy

• Members

1) I just bought a Boss SD-1 to use as a boost/overdrive . With the level set at Max and the drive turned down, I was expecting to hear a significant boost in the volume, but the increase is only very minor. Is this normal...or did I get a bad one?

2) I ordered Monte Allums SD-1 Mod Kit. There's supposed to be a 2x gain boost mod in the kit. Will that increase the volume level or is that an increase in OD ?

• Members

The SD-1 is not a clean boost. What it is known for is taking the flabbiness or low end out of a distorted amp, or tightening things up. The settings you are using will do that.

I have two SD-1's that I have done both monteallums mods on. The 2x mod is a gain mod, and is an optional feature when modding the pedal. I'm not sure it's needed. I max my level knob and leave the gain knob off, or below 9 o'clock.

There is no noticeable volume boost from stock as far as I can tell...at least not enough to use it as a clean boost.

Don't get me wrong...as you turn up the gain, things do get louder, but they also get alot harrier too.

Good luck with the mods.

• Members

I've got a Keeley SD-1 that about 5x the max volume of the stck SD-1. No joke. It's the loudest pedal I've owned.

If you want really loud, I hear that Greedtone is putting pedals again, and they're reportedly the loudest pedal ever. It's a Tube Screamer type pedal. They're also reportedly very expensive.

• Members

Hi hear you . . .

. . . 'bout that Keeley 5Star mod !!!

It is about 5 times louder !!!!

I sent my SD-1 away to this guy in the UK (LP_Man, he is sometimes on this forum too, but hangs out prodomanantly @ another flame-free forum).

He modded my lil SD-1 into a monster.

. . . Spider SD-1

Also, the chips & diodes are "socketed" so i have the option to swop them with about four each, giving me even more tonal options !!!

And with the correct chip this thing out-screeeam my BD-2 & Rat BIG TIME !!! :evil::thu:

Archived