Best fuzz for 60's psychedelia?

pjmuck

• Members

Originally posted by pjmuck

The samples of the Maestro Fuzztone sound pretty close to what I'm looking for:

Anyone own one?

Has anyone tried the DOD Flashback Fuzz? I normally hate DOD stuff, but I give them props for the cool psychedelic packaging. ;^)

The Flashback Fuzz isn't anything like the Fuzz-Rite. It's like a grainy fuzz face + the Classic Fuzz and a cocked wah (that can't be dialed out) sound.

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 9/26/2006 at 1:21 PM, pjmuck said:

I've sampled and listened to a few different Fuzz pedals, and most are way too over the top and more like heavy distortion than what I'm looking for. I'm looking for more subtle vintage fuzz tones (not Hendrix either). The tones I'm looking for are:

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermint

Beatles - Think for Yourself

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

Any suggestions?

I have had a Mosrite fuzz-rite since 1982, it too was more distortion, like Iron Butterfly.  My search has led  me to understand that the fuzz is a combination of things.   Some I'm not willing to do.   With any fuzz, it is important to know, turn the volume on the box way down and the fuzz all the way up.   Use the tone and effects of your amp to find the gain, and control the volume from the guitar.   I have found out that some guys would tune their guitar way, way down to get that rattle fuz.  Some would put paper in between strings.   Some took a razor to their amp speakers.    Others had defective condensers in their amps that gave a deep fuzz.   I'm still searching.   I did find at one point a digital rack in a studio that gave a good fuzz but it gave a bit too much sustain so it squealed more like a metal effect.  Anyway, great luck!

1 hour ago, Lettuce Hed said:

I'm still searching. 

What else have you tried besides the Fuzz-Rite? 

I must have close to a dozen different types of fuzz boxes in my pedal collection, if not more, and I really don't have any one particular favorite - they're all useful for different sounds. 

• Moderators

If anyone is still searching for the 'sound' of the '60s fuzz...Danelectro has 'cloned' the Foxx Fuzz [aka the 1972 Tone Machine], which at least to me, despite coming about in the early '70s, captured the sound of the definitive fuzz of the era, arguably more so than the Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face [although, that certainly has its own place in the lexicon...].  Now to be fair, the designer of the FOXX circuit was none other than the current CEO of Danelectro, Steve Ridinger...so maybe calling it a clone is unfair. The Danelectro version is called the 3699 Fuzz [on a telephone dial or keypad, 3-6-9-9 can be translated as F-O-X-X].  They are not yet available [April ship date, IIRC] but many retailers are taking pre-orders. Foxx pedals used to be based in [my old home town] Chatsworth, CA, back in the early 70s...too bad Danelectro isn't going to 'flock' the cases like the old Foxx pedals...and I'm guessing they will get the spelling right on this iteration [the original Tone Machine had 'octave' spelled octive, it was corrected on the re-issues].

Archived