Best fuzz for 60's psychedelia?

pjmuck

• Members

I've sampled and listened to a few different Fuzz pedals, and most are way too over the top and more like heavy distortion than what I'm looking for. I'm looking for more subtle vintage fuzz tones (not Hendrix either). The tones I'm looking for are:

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermint

Beatles - Think for Yourself

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

Any suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

strawberry alarm clock was probably a mosrite fuzz, and i think spirit in the sky was a sliced up speaker

I always heard that about Spirit in the Sky, but then I read in Analogman's book a few days ago that it was two Jordan Bosstones in series. God knows what to think now....

I personally wanna know how they got the tone on the Doobies' 'China Grove'...I don't like the actualy song much, but I can listen to that guitar for days and days.

• Members

:wave: The ZVEX Fuzz Factory has many setting and one called the Clean Up Fuzz 7-7-3-5 gets close to that vitage Fuzz Face sound. Jimi made the 60's kind of wild sounding. If the Fuzz Factory was available back then Zack and Jimi would have been friends.

Click on the word Video Demo under the Picture of the Fuzz Factory for a Video Demo with the maker himself.

www.zvex.com/fuzz.html

• Members

Originally posted by pjmuck

I've sampled and listened to a few different Fuzz pedals, and most are way too over the top and more like heavy distortion than what I'm looking for. I'm looking for more subtle vintage fuzz tones (not Hendrix either). The tones I'm looking for are:

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense and Peppermint

Beatles - Think for Yourself

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky

Any suggestions?

There's a ton of good suggestions in here. Although Orourke is right, which is why I'm suggesting the Fuzz Factory, like Stompboxman. That, or I might consider looking into Dev- I mean Doug's offer.;)

• Members

Originally posted by pjmuck

The samples of the Maestro Fuzztone sound pretty close to what I'm looking for:

Anyone own one?

Has anyone tried the DOD Flashback Fuzz? I normally hate DOD stuff, but I give them props for the cool psychedelic packaging. ;^)

A maestro fuzztone is probably what you need, but the ri sucks, and I don't think anyone makes a clone of one.

Archived