MXR script, block, and current reissues.

inscho

• Members

I have a lot of questions about the differences on these pedals.

I know that script is the most desireable and generally thought to sound the best, but how does the block logo pedals compare to the script and the reissues?

also how can you tell the difference between block logo and current reissue? I'm sure there is something obvious I am missing.

with the dyna comp....the reissue is crap, the script is awesome. but how is the block logo?

with the phase 90....the reissue distorts, the script is awesome. but how is the block logo? and is it true that when you do the r28 mod to the current reissue, it sounds more like the block logo than the script?

and how does the block logo phase 45 compare with the original script?

any tidbit of info is much appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

not yet, but there is a block logo dist+ i have been wanting to check out at a studio i fix stuff for. but i have nothing to compare it to other than the grey dod 250 i built (which i love).

ah...there was a mustard colored block logo at guitar center a few months ago...I tried it out. it sounded really harsh to me...I didn't like it. it was like this one:

e257-1.jpg

I've never tried a gray 250...I really want to though, how would you describe it? :)

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

oops
:D

have you played a block or script one before to compare it?

I played a block version at my friend's place before, but I didn't have mine to compare it with. I really couldn't discern much of a difference between the two. Oh yeah, I was a little drunkers when I played it.

:p

• Members

although the scripts might sound better on occasion, they were more inconsistent (according to mxr pres. Keith Barr), so its just as likely that a given script aint gonna sound as good as a block logo.

i've got a block-logo Dyna. great stuff, but really needs a power jack.

• Members

I've never tried a gray 250...I really want to though, how would you describe it?
:)

i keep the distortion about halfway and the volume all the way up. it cuts really nice without being harsh. it blends really well with my amp.

hard to describe.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

although the scripts might sound better on occasion, they were more inconsistent (according to mxr pres. Keith Barr), so its just as likely that a given script
aint
gonna sound as good as a block logo.

i've got a block-logo Dyna. great stuff, but
really
needs a power jack.

isn't there an adapter that turns the battery clip into a power jack?

have you had the chance to compare the current reissue to the block dyna comp?

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

I played a block version at my friend's place before, but I didn't have mine to compare it with. I really couldn't discern much of a difference between the two. Oh yeah, I was a little drunkers when I played it.

:p

• Members

(dist +)ive got a reissue and ive played an old one- they sound very similiar. its my opinion that in this case, preference to the original is one of vintage {censored} chasing.

they all sound harsh and fizzy, the only way i could get a usable tone from it is to hit a slightly distorted channel with it. its still not that great, but its alright.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Picklebottom

(dist +)ive got a reissue and ive played an old one- they sound very similiar. its my opinion that in this case, preference to the original is one of vintage {censored} chasing.

they all sound harsh and fizzy, the only way i could get a usable tone from it is to hit a slightly distorted channel with it. its still not that great, but its alright.

ah...yeah the ones I have tried were crap...never played a script one though.

• Members

All I know is that current MXR products are {censored}. Look at them wrong and they stop working (that is, after you gone thru 5 of them in the store to find the only one that works in the first place). And it pisses me off because I really like the Phase 90. Cost of repair/shipping is the same as buying a new one.:mad:

• Members

I have been using the current Phase 90ri. for the last few years. At first i didn't really dig it untill i removed the r28 resistor. After that it sounded really great, great pedal. Just a few weeks ago i bought a vintage script phase 100, the vintage ho that i am. It does sound a bit sweeter but is also a bit noisier, only runs on batteries, and has no led. It definatly has more MOJO though and looks much better next to my Boss CE-1 and Boss DM-3. :D Those script Phase 100's often go for less then a script 90 and is just about the same pedal with even more tweakability.

• Members

Originally posted by Heineken

I have been using the current Phase 90ri. for the last few years. At first i didn't really dig it untill i removed the r28 resistor. After that it sounded really great, great pedal. Just a few weeks ago i bought a vintage script phase 100, the vintage ho that i am. It does sound a bit sweeter but is also a bit noisier, only runs on batteries, and has no led. It definatly has more MOJO though and looks much better next to my Boss CE-1 and Boss DM-3.
Those script Phase 100's often go for less then a script 90 and is just about the same pedal with even more tweakability.

cool! if my ibanez pt999 doesn't do it for me...I may just go that way :cool:

• Members

I'll sound off...

I've got a few older MXR pedals and have done some comparisions:

The best is an old BUD box Phase 90 - probably the best phaser I own; it destroys the newer MXR Phase 90s, even with R28 mods (I have 2 new ones, one modded and one stock).

Next down is the Script Phase 100(1977 via the pot codes) vis a vis newer M-107 Phase 100 - no contest, the script wins by unanimous, but subjective, opinion, but I didn't (and don't) have a Block logo for comparison so the jury is still out.

D+ wise, I had fromal direct comparison experiment with a Script (1976) and a Block logo (1978).

There is no discernable difference, both are equally and identically great.

I'd really tried to satisfy tonal and intellectual curiosity by setting up a double blind A/B test in a very controlled enviroment (using a test lab of a major speaker and sound system manufacter - for a different purpose but the empirical data is still true and vaild).

which surprised me...

cheers!

• Members

wanna hear something funny,

i was recording at a studio a couple of weeks ago and started looking around at the old pedals they had on the shelves. then i went to the organ, and sitting on top, with the circuit board all but disconnected (but still intact) and a missing jack is a bud box script logo phase 90 a 73 i think.

i asked them what the hell they were doing to it. and i am trying to get it up and running.

so, if you could post some gut shots it would help a ton.

:wave:

• Members

isn't there an adapter that turns the battery clip into a power jack?....

yes, and its very necessary imho, but you cant put the bottom plate back on with the adaptor on there. :( plexiglass can be fashioned into a replacement plate (with hole cut out).

have you had the chance to compare the current reissue to the block dyna comp?

not yet. i've used the 'sustain' of the commande series a fair bit though, and dont notice too much difference between them (i've not a/b'd them though).

Archived