Boost Pedals Popping----MXR micro amp and MC-401

c2dzmm

• Members

I recently purchased both an MXR micro amp and the new MXR MC-401 boost pedal. I am trying them both out as the last pedal in the chain of my effects loop. Plan on keeping the one I like best. My effects loop is tube and comes from an 81 JCM 800 2203 head(aftermarket installed).

When i turn on either pedal I get a loud popping sound. Even if the pedal AND amp volume are 0. I am powering them with a 1 spot from visual sound. I have several other pedals hooked up and they all work great including an MXR EVH phase 90---however that pedal is in my direct chain instead of the effects loop. Can someone please help me figure out the problem?

Thanks

• Members

They're angry. buy some flowers and give them space.

I had the same problem with an old OD pedal I had. I seemed the more I kept cliccking the pedal, the quieter it got untill the sound went away. I usually just did that before playing to silence the beast.

Not the best idea, but it worked for me.

• Members

Originally posted by c2dzmm

hmmm---there has to be a better way.

Actually, if I recall, his answer is absolutely correct. The reason for the pop is the build up of static electricity. So if you hit it a dozen times or so after powering everything up, it should improve dramatically.

• Members

how can you hear a pop if the amp volume is at 0?

do you hear it if the amp is off?

:confused:

i got pops with my VibroThang because the power supply jack was had a loose solder connection. so basically the pedal would power off for a split second, causing pops. dab of solder and i was good to go.