hog vs pog

bojo

• Members

This is for the EHX lovers. I was considering buying a pog, but when looking at the hog parameters it seemed to me that for the extra money the hog could do about the same things as the pog (cause it has the -1 oct +1oct and +2oct like the pog) and a lot of other interesting sounds. Anyone has tried those pedals. Is the hog a good choice for analog synth sounds?

• Members

I've never toyed with a POG, but the HOG is great for creating analog synth tones, and all kinds of other tones.

The key is it is not difficult to make it sound natural and musical, and it blends in well with traditional sounds so it doesn't cheeze up your traditional sound (unless you want it to).

Its on a lot of the clips here: http://www.inrerocknroll.com

I use it all the time for "bass" - you can set it up to have a relatively quick decay for a fairly authentic sounding acoustic bass tone.

Some of the clips further down the page show what the HOG can do on lead and rhythm.

• Members

Originally posted by MrMunky

I've never toyed with a POG, but the HOG is great for creating analog synth tones, and all kinds of other tones.

The key is it is not difficult to make it sound natural and musical, and it blends in well with traditional sounds so it doesn't cheeze up your traditional sound (unless you want it to).

Its on a lot of the clips here:

I use it all the time for "bass" - you can set it up to have a relatively quick decay for a fairly authentic sounding acoustic bass tone.

Some of the clips further down the page show what the HOG can do on lead and rhythm.

MrMunky your clips are great!!!

the hog does a great organ sound, that's mostly what i was wondering when refering to the pog.

so it can probably do too the 12 strings emulation.

the bass sound is great too.

• Members

Originally posted by PeelingPaint98

I wouldn't say the hog will put out analog synth sounds, but I don't think the pog does either. If you want analog synth you want the micro synth.

hey thanks, I saw you have a hog on your board. how do you find it? for what kind of sound do you use it?

anyone has other toughts about the sounds of the pog or the hog?

• Members

Originally posted by bojo

hey thanks, I saw you have a hog on your board. how do you find it? for what kind of sound do you use it?

anyone has other toughts about the sounds of the pog or the hog?

I've got both the HOG and POG on my board. They are different. The POG is thicker sounding (my opinion) The detune sliders give the POG a more sinister haunting type of organ sound than the HOG

The HOG has many more options than the POG but doesn't sound as thick (my opinion) IT lacks the detune settings. BUT it makes up for it with added 3rds and 5ths, envolope, and the really cool ability to program and expression pedal control.

If you just want an octave down then check out the octave multiplexer. I also run that on my board for simple octave downs cuz it's the thickest sounding.

If you want a synth, then the microsynth is the thing to get. IT sounds totally unlike the POG or HOG. Not even the same ballpark.

• Members

Originally posted by Natan Zada

I've got both the HOG and POG on my board. They are different. The POG is thicker sounding (my opinion) The detune sliders give the POG a more sinister haunting type of organ sound than the HOG

The HOG has many more options than the POG but doesn't sound as thick (my opinion) IT lacks the detune settings. BUT it makes up for it with added 3rds and 5ths, envolope, and the really cool ability to program and expression pedal control.

If you just want an octave down then check out the octave multiplexer. I also run that on my board for simple octave downs cuz it's the thickest sounding.

If you want a synth, then the microsynth is the thing to get. IT sounds totally unlike the POG or HOG. Not even the same ballpark.

+1, I couldn't have said it better.

• Members

Originally posted by bojo

thanks, yeah i think the micro synth is more what i'm looking for.

but still the hog seems a very intersting pedal...

So you're aware, the Microsynth will only accomodate monophonic playing. If you're looking to play chords, or are contemplating thick synth pad, organ or rhodes tones, you might have an easier time getting those out of the POG or HOG, which can easily process even complex multi-voice chords.

Archived