Identify an original TS9?

GibsonGeek

• Members

See my tube screamer history page :

Here are the bottoms of the four different TS9s. On the right is an original with black label, easy to tell and date, if 1st digit is a 1, that would mean 1981 (a VERY early TS9!). These usually have the JRC4558D chip, or sometimes the lousy JRC2043D chip.

Second on the right is an original silver label TS9. The 1st digit is a 3 meaning 1983, you will see a lot of these with a 4 for 1984. These can have the earlier chips or sometimes the TA75558 chip as used in the reissues. These are almost impossible to tell from the 1st reissue TS9. But the Reissue TS9 will usually not have a serial # starting with 3 or 4. I have reissues with a 206XXX and 207XXX number here with a capacitor made in 1990, maybe a very early reissue from 1992. These have silver labels, an original from 1982 would probably have had a black label.

Third from the right is a 2nd version reissue, with the CE symbol so you know it's a reissue. It still uses the original MAXON circuit board and MAXON on the battery cover. The reissues all have the TA75558 chip. Note the box has bar code info, this will not be found on the original boxes.

On the left is the latest 2002+ reissue, with the IBANEZ board and IBANEZ on the battery cover.

ts9bottoms.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by MattCrane

did they come with the good chip? I wonder wear mine is.

TS-10's came with whatever chip was available. Many TS-9 originals didn't have the 'good chip' either.

The chip business is supposedly a bunch of hot air, though. Many people claim a TS-7 sounds just as good as a vintage TS-9, or that SRV actually preferred the TS-10 to the earlier models, or that if you take a TS-5 and bury it in a fresh grave on midnight on Halloween, it will come back reincarnated as a giant black cockroach that can play a mean version of 'Tightrope'.

• Members

Thanks so much for the info. Looks like I got ripped off.

1. has the TA75558 chip

2. has CE on the silver label (serial 003175)

3. the box appears to be original. No barcode on bottom. Flap reads MB-TS1402, KU.

Needless to say, I'm fuggin pissed.

Originally posted by analogmike

Here are the bottoms of the four different TS9s. On the right is an original with black label, easy to tell and date, if 1st digit is a 1, that would mean 1981 (a VERY early TS9!). These usually have the JRC4558D chip, or sometimes the lousy JRC2043D chip.

Second on the right is an original silver label TS9. The 1st digit is a 3 meaning 1983, you will see a lot of these with a 4 for 1984. These can have the earlier chips or sometimes the TA75558 chip as used in the reissues. These are almost impossible to tell from the 1st reissue TS9. But the Reissue TS9 will usually not have a serial # starting with 3 or 4. I have reissues with a 206XXX and 207XXX number here with a capacitor made in 1990, maybe a very early reissue from 1992. These have silver labels, an original from 1982 would probably have had a black label.

Third from the right is a 2nd version reissue, with the CE symbol so you know it's a reissue. It still uses the original MAXON circuit board and MAXON on the battery cover. The reissues all have the TA75558 chip. Note the box has bar code info, this will not be found on the original boxes.

On the left is the latest 2002+ reissue, with the IBANEZ board and IBANEZ on the battery cover.

ts9bottoms.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by analogmike

ts9bottoms.jpg

I own an original TS-9 with the black bottom label and the serial number starts with the number "1". Does anyone know how much they are worth?

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I came across this post and thought I'd respond.

On 11/16/2006 at 7:26 PM, analogmike said:

http://www.analogman.com/graphics/ts9bottoms.jpg

I found this forum thread and decided to check out my Tube Screamer.  I have one, still in original box (never used), like the 2nd-from the right, you describe here, except it's GREEN.

So what I'm sitting with is probably a:

1990-94 reissue (was around the time I bought it)

208447 (silver label) No "CE" on the label

Original box without barcode reads:  " MB-TS1402, KU (made in Japan) "

Inside battery cover reads:  " MAXON K8-D01002 "

Chip on circuit board reads:  " T 4'F   TA75558P "

It's made from 2mm metal so it's on the heavier side

• 1 year later...