Sign in to follow this  
TweedBassman

EHX microsynth mods?

anyone have any links to any EHX microsynth mods? specifically, LED on/off with effect, and making a guitar MS into a bass MS? i hear it's just 3 caps to convert it but can't find anything online for the life of me.

i found the schematic online but i don't even see any caps close to the start/stop sweep faders, maybe they're somewhere else? thanks!

i can't recall whether or not i had a schem when i modded mine, but...

i tb'ed mine (awful, awful bypass in stock form) and turned the Power On/Off LED into an EFFECT on/off LED. but mine was already the bass version, so i'm afraid i can't help you there.

Originally posted by terry_nunn

turned the Power On/Off LED into an EFFECT on/off LED.

How hard it this to do? I have a couple EH pedals I want to do this to.

That shouldn't be to hard. All you'd need is a 3DPT switch (that means you could TB your pedal too) You take 1 of the poles and connect one position to power, and one to the LED with a resistors in series right before it (desoldering the former connections it had) if you don't have a resistor in front of it, the current will be to high and kill the LED. The resistor value depends on the voltage of the power supply, I think it is usually like 2 kOhms for a 9V.

I dunno if you'd want to TB every EHX pedal, sometimes they get volume issues if you do.

Email info@ehx.com sometimes they can be really helpful, although other times they aren't at all.

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

I dunno if you'd want to TB every EHX pedal, sometimes they get volume issues if you do.

What volume issues? Doesn't tb usually help with volume issues?

By the way SpectralJulian, vocals are being done right now for your song by my friend with Kegmama's lyrics...

Originally posted by CHOUTMUSIC

By the way SpectralJulian, vocals are being done right now for your song by my friend with Kegmama's lyrics...

I read someone bypassed their memory man and it gave it issues or something. I don't see why it would, but I just believe all I'm told ;)

I true bypassed my Bass Microsynth back in the days when 3PDT's were not available. Had to use a DPDT so no LED action. Was such a bad experience I would not even try to find the varied caps, it was a bitch to get the board out!

Originally posted by spaceshot

I true bypassed my Bass Microsynth back in the days when 3PDT's were not available. Had to use a DPDT so no LED action. Was such a bad experience I would not even try to find the varied caps, it was a bitch to get the board out!

haha oh boy... yeah i've TB'ed stuff before, but that schematic scares me to death. thanks!

time to save up for another one...

Depends on what the issues really are

OK, TB prevents an effect (the input stage) from loading the signal...but here's the thing when the effect is off

So, by using TB you have 2 different load/impedence conditions...one when the effect is ON, another when the effect is OFF

Now, with an effect which has a primary function of saltering tone or volume...like a distortion...it's not a big deal b/c you are altering that stuff anyway. Sometimes the loading is actually part of the sound (ever here people say "my fuzzface hates buffers"? -- that's because it's voiced such that the loading is part of the sound...it's "tonesuck" but it's "tonesuck" that is pleasant)

BUT, with things like, chorus or delay (notice Julian mentioned the guy modded a memoryman delay) you might not want the tone or volume to be different between the on and off states (you just want the addition of echo or chorus or reverb or what-have you)

In this case, the difference between the states can be offputting...so ther TB can be less appropriate and cause a "mismatch"

stuff like a wah or flanger can kind of fall into the middle ground b/c you're messing with the timbre, but not "reconstructing" it like with a fuzz or a microsynth

So there you may want to look at the individual case and use model.

With the microsynth, I wouldn't think you'd have much of a problem with a TB mismatch b/c

1) you are tearing apart the tone wholesale

2) it's got level controls to compensate for volume mismatch

but it does speak to the point that TB isn't a panacea and doesn't do anything to address ON mode behaviors

Originally posted by TweedBassman

haha oh boy... yeah i've TB'ed stuff before, but that schematic scares me to death. thanks!

time to save up for another one...

Oh no, don't give up! Your tone and the Microsynth are worth milleniums! (I'm a fellow Connecticianusk). Y'know Analog Mike is in Danbury and he will hook your Microsynth up if you plead with him. (First try he says he is too busy, put on the Connecticut charm and he will melt in your hands.) True bypass bass microsynths at the front of your chain really pull your chain!