Soundgarden tone, recommend me a dirt-box

SirJackdeFuzz

• Members

Originally posted by M900

I don't have access to the pic now, but I think he was using a Peavey head (not the 5150), at least for his live rig.

c

he used the Peavey's for Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger, and the Boogies for SuperUnknown and Down on the Upside.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go there....

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/faq/#2_6

many answers lie there.

.. however, not the answer to your question. I like my jekyll and hyde, but I seldom get anywhere near the sound of kim thayil.

I think its mostly in the amp and the loud.

I don't know quite how you are going to coax soundgarden out of a blues jr. But you should go to your local guitar store and take advantage of the fact that there are 'Hot Rod' fenders like yours in guitar stores all over and you can basically try out pedals in an amp similar to yours.

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack
Dunno about the Gretsch, but he played guitar on Ultramega OK, Flower, Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger. Course, he started as a drummer...

afaik he's the riffmeister and altered-tuning nut. Though Thayil rules in his own right and was always madman enough to solo in those altered tunings.

i've always thought Cornell a very underrated guitarist; it always seemed people considered him to be just a singer.

i'm sure i remember reading at the time that it was Chris who played the vast majority of the lead parts on the Down On The Upside album.

• Members

His sound to me is a mix of mesa-boogie-rectifier-type crunch and fuzz. The Pigtronix Disnortion would be good to try, as you can run dirt and fuzz in parallel, like micing two separate amps.

Also check out the Arion Tubulator clip at Musician's Friend, where they play a SG song. (Sidenote: can anyone with a Tubulator verify if the pedal really sounds as good as that clip? :))

• Members

Originally posted by HMCMedic

MI Audio Tube Zone

That's a good suggestion. A Hot British & perhaps a modded MT-2 would also be worth trying, basically anything that provides enough tone shaping to nail the low end. A single tone knob isn't going to cut it for this application.

btw, it really says something about Chris Cornell that he was able to go from Stone Gossard's heavenly tone on the Temple of the Dogs record to doing some of the most aggressive stuff of Soundgarden's career immediately after. Range.

• Members

A really big part of Soundgarden's sound was the strange tunings. If you tune down to C-F-C-G-B-E, you will find lots of guitars/amps/pedal combinations that get you in the ballpark of 4th of July. There is just something about the flap of loose strings and the chord inversions. That being said, not sure the Blues Jr. will get you there.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

What I use is a Russian Big Muff Pi with a Crybaby left halfway. It gives it that nasally tone from Badmotorfinger. It's great for songs like Hands All Over, Rusty Cage, Outshined, Spoonman, countless others.

Also, my guitar is an SG with stock P90s and my amp a '59 Bassman 4x10.

• Members

Terry Date(Pantera, Prong, Deftones, White Zombie) produced all of those killer SOundgarden tones on BM, Superunkown, DOTU, etc..

He is legendary for layering LOTS of amps. I wouldn't put it past him to throw a bass amp in the mix with a Big Muff, some valvestate, some RG100, the Peavey VTM, etc.

Soundgarden, to me, sounds like low tunings, amp distortion, and Boss Chorus (CE-2).

I would start with the Peavey VTM.

Here are some people saying it was a Dual Recto for Superunknown and everything after that.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1509890-Soundgarden-gear-on-Superunknown

• Members
Terry Date(Pantera, Prong, Deftones, White Zombie) produced all of those killer SOundgarden tones on BM, Superunkown, DOTU, etc..

He is legendary for layering LOTS of amps. I wouldn't put it past him to throw a bass amp in the mix with a Big Muff, some valvestate, some RG100, the Peavey VTM, etc.

Soundgarden, to me, sounds like low tunings, amp distortion, and Boss Chorus (CE-2).

I would start with the Peavey VTM.

Here are some people saying it was a Dual Recto for Superunknown and everything after that.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1509890-Soundgarden-gear-on-Superunknown

:cop: Terry Date didn't produce Superunknown & DOTU.

Archived