Weird hum problem with my TU-2

angelhair0

• Members

In my lineup, I use the tuner output of my Ernie Ball VP JR. Oddly, I get a strange hum similar to the sound of a bad cable, or bad ground, when something is plugged into the input of the pedal. I do not run THROUGH the pedal, I just use it's input from the tuner out of my volume pedal. I do use the TU-2 to power a daisy chain for a number of my pedals. However, the hum is ONLY there when something is in the TU-2's input. The pedal by itself, powering the daisy chain, does nothing. The output of the VP JR doesn't even have to be plugged in. All it needs is something in the damn input of the tuner. Nasty loud hum. My pedals effect the hum, too. For instance, if I turn on a dirt pedal, the hum becomes distorted. So the power issue is effecting something in my line of pedals, not the amp. At least I don't think. Any suggestions? Should I ditch the TU-2 and get another Pedal Power, DC Brick, or something?

• Members

There could be a number of things going on, so it's hard to say exactly what it is. Ground loop hum, bad jack on the VPjr or TU-2, etc. It stands to reason that you'd get more noise the more pedals you have turned on. Sounds like it's only an issue when you run the TU-2 out of the tuner out on the VP, right? Any problems if you run it in-line with the VP?

FWIW - the TU-2 does not provide power when daisy chaining. It's all coming from the wall wart - the TU-2 only passes it on. You might be overloading the wall wart if you have a lot of pedals with a high current draw. Look on the back of the wall wart for a mA rating - then add up the mA ratings of all of your pedals connected to it. You'll want to stay about 20% below the max mA rating of the wall wart for best results.

• Members

Originally posted by erksin

There could be a number of things going on, so it's hard to say exactly what it is. Ground loop hum, bad jack on the VPjr or TU-2, etc. It stands to reason that you'd get more noise the more pedals you have turned on. Sounds like it's only an issue when you run the TU-2 out of the tuner out on the VP, right? Any problems if you run it in-line with the VP?

I don't really get more noise the more pedals I have turned on. The only reason I mentioned my dirt pedal is because I was just making the point that the noise is affected by the pedals. When I mean affected (not effected, sorry) is that the pedal will actually put the effect on the hum. If my phaser is on, it was phase the hum. If I put reverb on, it will make the hum reverby. Know what I mean?

And yes, I get the same issue when I run through the TU-2. I'm trying avoid this, though, because of tone issues. I don't want to run through the tuner. But either way, I still get the noise. I get it when the input of the TU-2 is used. That's why I don't think it's my VP.

Two of my band mates have TU-2s so I am going to try it with theirs next time we have rehearsal. I'll post what happens.

Originally posted by erksin

FWIW - the TU-2 does not provide power when daisy chaining. It's all coming from the wall wart - the TU-2 only passes it on. You might be overloading the wall wart if you have a lot of pedals with a high current draw. Look on the back of the wall wart for a mA rating - then add up the mA ratings of all of your pedals connected to it. You'll want to stay about 20% below the max mA rating of the wall wart for best results.

This might be my problem. I had a few Dano pedals, my Boss DD20, a few other Boss pedals as well as my Akai Headrush plugged into this daisy chain. My Headrush was making some ridiculous noises, so I gave it it's own AC adaptor and it god rid of the nasty noise. I will try adding up everything, and I'll post after I do that as well.

Thanks for your help!!

• 13 years later...
  • Members

The power daisy chain running from my TU-2 created noise, BUT, I also could hear it less so running my pedals on batteries.  As a work around, I cut my pre-amp LEVEL by half AND my compressor LEVEL by half.  I boosted the MASTER level to reach the same sound level as before, AND I cut the high gain EQ to -10 db.  That cleaned the noise up.

Thank you all for your comments.

Archived