Nailing Joe Satriani's Sound?

gibsgstd1999

• Members

I have heard that a Boss DS-1 is a vital component of the Satch lead tone...how true is this, and how many other pieces of gear really factor into this? I have an Ibanez with a Breed in the Bridge, and a Jackson with a JB. If I combined either of these with a DS-1, going into my Classic 30 (and maybe some delay and eq), would I come anything close?

Was the DS-1 being used more as a boost for the amp's distortion, or does most of the distortion come from the pedal?

I am not dying to sound like Joe or anything. I am just curious....

P.S. I know that he uses a signature Peavey amp nowadays, but as far as the old stuff goes (Satch Boogie, etc), how important is the DS-1 to his sound?

• Members

Originally posted by TweedBassman

pretty sure his ds-1 is a keeley mod ds-1, which is nothing like a stock one my friend.

So Keeley was modding Joe's pedals back in 1987?

Wow. Hmmm...interesting.

I thought I heard that they were just the original Japanese made ones.

Are you sure about the Keeley thing?

I'm going to have to do some research....

• Members

Originally posted by TweedBassman

my bad, it's the other dude who uses a ds-1 and goes "beedle-y beedle-y beedle-y beeeee"

you know. the other dude.

which one, of the millions that fit that description, were using keeley-modded ds-1 stomps in 1987?

• Members

according to Keeley's site....he made a few modded ds-1's for Vai....and I think Vai gave one to Joe to "check out".

From what I know....Joe did (and still does) use a stock ds-1 into the clean channel of a variety of amps.......I know also that he's used the distortion channel of his new peavey amps.....however I think lately he's back to stock ds-1 into the clean channel.

A real key to Joe's signature sound in chorus....probably too think for some.....he also uses the wah a lot more than people think.....often in a fixed position.....

multiple delay's as well to get a "big" sound and of course his phrasing and technical fretting (and muting) skills are outstanding.....

fairly high output passive humbuckers......

keep in mind that Joe lists Hendrix as the guitar player he sought to emulate the most.....hence his use of the wah......

hope that helps...

• Members

Originally posted by eman

according to Keeley's site....he made a few modded ds-1's for Vai....and I think Vai gave one to Joe to "check out".

From what I know....Joe did (and still does) use a stock ds-1 into the clean channel of a variety of amps.......I know also that he's used the distortion channel of his new peavey amps.....however I think lately he's back to stock ds-1 into the clean channel.

A real key to Joe's signature sound in chorus....probably too think for some.....he also uses the wah a lot more than people think.....often in a fixed position.....

multiple delay's as well to get a "big" sound and of course his phrasing and technical fretting (and muting) skills are outstanding.....

fairly high output passive humbuckers......

keep in mind that Joe lists Hendrix as the guitar player he sought to emulate the most.....hence his use of the wah......

hope that helps...

The Wah thing is a good point- I am sure that has a lot to do with how midrangey and vocal he sounds. Thanks for mentioning that.

• Members

Satch used and still uses a Jap DS-1. Though it does sound better then the Taiwanese DS-1's it's still much too "brittle" to my ears so mine is collecting dust. I'd like to know too what's Satch and Vai's secret for getting such a big crunch out of that thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Heineken

Satch used and still uses a Jap DS-1. Though it does sound better then the Taiwanese DS-1's it's still much too "brittle" to my ears so mine is collecting dust. I'd like to know too what's Satch and Vai's secret for getting such a big crunch out of that thing.

I am guessing that they both use massive amounts of equalization...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

maybe they are using it to boost an already distorted signal......just maybe......

Archived