How to add more gain to my Blues Jr ?

alexis761218

• Members

Which pedal do you recommend to add more overdrive to my Fender Blues Junior Amp ?

I want something totally transparent just to add more gain (not volume, but distortion) to my amp. In other words, I would like to keep the EXACT same tube sound (which I like) but driven more hard.

Should I get a booster (like MXR Micro Amp) or a overdrive/distortion pedal (like Tube Screamer)?

• Members

You can use/get either !!!

I use a Micro Amp, and will soon have the new LPB too !!!

The big miss-conception about the Boosters is that folks think they only ad a hefty amount of vol. boost - NOT SO !

If you are running your Blues Jr. past 75% vol. then a booster (almost any, as far as i know), will add almost zero vol. just a good helping of gain/dirt.

But that is a very sweet sounding type of dirt - unlike some distortion simmulators !

It slam your pre-amp tubse real hard, causing them to go into natural saturation/distortion (as aposed to fake overdrive, with a dirt pedal)

For boosters, look into :

* EHX LPB 2ubes

* LPB

* Seymour Duncan Pick Up Booster

* MXR Micro Amp

* Marshall BB2 has a dedicated "Boost" function - very underrated unit !

* ColorSound OverDriver

* Mi Audio Boost 'N' Buff

* Vox Cooltron Britt Boost

* Carl Martin Contour & Boost - if i had money !!!

* Carl Martin Boost Kick

. . . Carl Martin has many more !

These types are also the most transparent you will find !

For serious dirt addding, i will look at good units like :

* ProCo Rat - i love mine !

* Boss BD-2 - very underrated !

* MI Audio Blue Boy DeLuxe

* Vox Cooltron Big Ben Overdrive

* Radial Tonebone Classic - a MUST HAVE for me !!!

* H&K Tube Man - JUST PHUKIN', WOW !!!

. . . will use any of the above units with my Blues Jr. ( i have some of them already !)

Hope this helps !

;)

• Members

Originally posted by ajouffa

If boosters only add gain and are meant to be transparent, what are the difference between all of them?...

among other differences:

-available boost (14db vs 25db, for instance)

-different ways of acheiving the same/similar things (one-stage vs. 2-stage fet booster, for instance)

-different imput/output impedances, which can alter signal downstream

Also, what is the difference between using an MXR Micro Amp and a Tube Screamer as a boost ?

using a micro-amp would be akin to turning the volume up on your guitar (in this example) so it hits the amp harder. using a TS would alter tone, volume, and distortion level in the signal.

• Members

If boosters only add gain and are meant to be transparent, what are the difference between all of them?

Also, what is the difference between using an MXR Micro Amp and a Tube Screamer as a boost ?

A booster WILL add a vol. boost to your amp if the vol. on the amps is anything below 5 (read, 50%).

The closer the amp to max vol. the smaller the vol. increase from the booster and the more meaty transparent dirt /saturation will be added !

The diff's between a good booster and an OD-pedal, easy :

A Booster slam the pre-amp tubes into NATURAL overdrive (read, tube saturation). It covers all the harmonics in the amps tone and is NOT fake !

An Overdrive pedals "SIMULATES" the tone of an overdriven amp, and does NOT cover all the harmonies (as far as my research & ears tell me) - and seeing that it is a simulated overdriven tone, it is seen as a fake tone that just "COLOUR" your amps tone in most cases !

One exception the the rule is the COLORSOUND OVERDRIVER that does NOT simmulate an overdriven tone, but reallt slams your 12AX7's into beutifull overdive !

There are some great OD-pedals out there that does NOT add that much colour to your amps natural tone, like the Boss BD-2. It allows the amps tone to come through, much, much more than say, a Marshall BB2 (well, obviously, because a BB2 is a Marshall voiced OD-pedal) - but you get the idea !

• Members

Thanks very much, I understand that an overdrive pedal simulates the tone of an overdriven amp. But what about using an overdrive pedal as a booster? I mean by cranking up only the "output volume" knob and turning down the "drive/gain" knob. I read here http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm that you can use the Tube Screamer that way, as a "clean boost". Does it sounds better than a regular booster ?

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

A booster WILL add a vol. boost to your amp if the vol. on the amps is anything below 5 (read, 50%).

The closer the amp to max vol. the smaller the vol. increase from the booster and the more meaty transparent dirt /saturation will be added !

The diff's between a good booster and an OD-pedal, easy :

A Booster slam the pre-amp tubes into NATURAL overdrive (read, tube saturation). It covers all the harmonics in the amps tone and is NOT fake !

An Overdrive pedals "SIMULATES" the tone of an overdriven amp, and does NOT cover all the harmonies (as far as my research & ears tell me) - and seeing that it is a simulated overdriven tone, it is seen as a fake tone that just "COLOUR" your amps tone in most cases !

One exception the the rule is the COLORSOUND OVERDRIVER that does NOT simmulate an overdriven tone, but reallt slams your 12AX7's into beutifull overdive !

There are some great OD-pedals out there that does NOT add that much colour to your amps natural tone, like the Boss BD-2. It allows the amps tone to come through, much, much more than say, a Marshall BB2 (well, obviously, because a BB2 is a Marshall voiced OD-pedal) - but you get the idea !

• Members

Thanks very much, I understand that an overdrive pedal simulates the tone of an overdriven amp. But what about using an overdrive pedal as a booster? I mean by cranking up only the "output volume" knob and turning down the "drive/gain" knob. I read here
that you can use the Tube Screamer that way, as a "clean boost". Does it sounds better than a regular booster ?

Yes, this absolutely works, BUT... the boost isn't really "clean," since the Tubescreamer's EQ is not bypassed, so it'll emphasize mid frequencies. You may or may not like this.

imho, it's not necessarily a bad thing, since boosting low frequencies equally with mids/highs can make things flubby much sooner as drive gets thicker. Ultimately, you'll probably want to experiment a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

Yes, this absolutely works, BUT... the boost isn't really "clean," since the Tubescreamer's EQ is not bypassed, so it'll emphasize mid frequencies. You may or may not like this.

imho, it's not necessarily a bad thing, since boosting low frequencies equally with mids/highs can make things flubby much sooner as drive gets thicker. Ultimately, you'll probably want to experiment a bit.

Is the MXR Micro Amp "clean" then?

• Members

Is the MXR Micro Amp "clean" then?

Yes, i have one - it is clean, but it also ads gain, which some folks see as "dirt", but it is from the amps pre-amp tubes, NOT colourration from the pedal !

Sadly a lot of folks still think it is NOT transparent, because of that added AMP-dirt - but it is a clean boost !

Tha amp is dirty'ing itself, so to speak !

If you want to use an OD as a boost, either get a Marshall BB2 (it is a 2-in-1, w. a boost & OD selector knob) or Boss's BD-2 !

The BD-2 has a massive vol. increase, MUCH, MUCH more than any other boss or Ibanez stomp-box !

*** THE BD-2 ROCKS !!! ***

:thu:

• Members

What about the MAXON OD-808 (the original Tube Screamer) ?

http://www.maxonfx.com/reissue/od808/

That is the best sounding one to my ears from all the Maxon &/or Ibanez models !

But still not worth my money if i can spend $70.00's on a BD-2 that i think is 90% perfect for my tone !!!

(PS : i do not think that there is a 100% perfect OD out there, so i will keep on looking for one for the rest of my life ;) )

Saying that, the Tonebone CLASSIC & H&K TUBE Man, is getting close though - dare i say 97.5% ???

• Members

Thanks very much, I understand that an overdrive pedal simulates the tone of an overdriven amp. But what about using an overdrive pedal as a booster? I mean by cranking up only the "output volume" knob and turning down the "drive/gain" knob. I read here
that you can use the Tube Screamer that way, as a "clean boost". Does it sounds better than a regular booster ?

. . . it depends what type of tone you (read character) you ewant from your amp, but as a plain booster, NO - personally i would stick to a BOOSTER then !

The BD-s DOES make a good booster, because of it's HUGE vol. boost (most of all the Boss units), but i prefer the EHX LPB right nw to slam my pre-amp tubes !

• Members

You could also swap in a different rectifier tube. I'm not sure which one would apply in the blues jr.'s case, but certain swaps will lower headroom and give more gain when it's cranked. Plus, a new rectifier tube will only cost you maybe $20 compared to $50 plus for just about any pedal you might consider.

Whoops....take that back. It's got a solid state rectifier.

Archived