Uh oh,, Tonelab SE has a problem!!

Ironhandjohn

• Members

Well, I had my Tonelab SE fo sale here but while playing it today it's developed a rather serious problem.

While rocking the expression pedals to manipulate the wah and volume suddenly I got NO volume at all. Popping the left pedal back with my heel I was able to get the sound back, but it continued to cut out intermittently. This REALLY pisses me off, because I was trying to sell it, but I'm not going to dump it off on anyone now that it's got a problem.

I got it used, so 'no warranty expressed or implied". Does anyone know of anyone who specializes in repairs to multi-effect units like this? I've had good dealings with Analogman, and was planning on sending my Mig 100 off to Jerry P before I sold it. I've not dealt with anyone else here on HC, so any advice is welcome.

• Members

Nope, cables are good and all jacks are tight. Problem occurs if I rock on the left(#1) expression pedal for any length of time. I've been playing it on and off all afternoon and that's the only way I can cause the short to occur.

It does sound like a bad cable would, though... Sudden drop in volume, momentary return of volume, total loss of signal, followed by full restoration of sound after thumping the pedal with my heel.

• Members
Originally posted by Ironhandjohn

Nope, cables are good and all jacks are tight. Problem occurs if I rock on the left(#1) expression pedal for any length of time. I've been playing it on and off all afternoon and that's the only way I can cause the short to occur.

It does sound like a bad cable would, though... Sudden drop in volume, momentary return of volume, total loss of signal, followed by full restoration of sound after thumping the pedal with my heel.

open it up and check the solder connection at the exp pedal.

i dunno; i'm just guessing... :)

• Members

Oddly enough there's a Vox authorized service center 20 miles form my little 1 horse town, so I'm going to take it there next weekend.

I'm not digging into this thing because even if I find the problem I'm dangerous with a soldering iron, so my fixing it is not am issue...

While it's apart I'll get the tech to give the thing a good look-over to see if everything is good, then maybe I'll try to sell it again. I'm still not %100 sold on it yet, but I like it, I guess.

Archived