Great small recording amps

Fourth Floor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of my amps are in what many would consider to be the "low power range, but I guarantee you my AC15cc and Princeton Reverb II could get you evicted or get the police called on you if you weren't careful with them. ;) But they're both very good recording amps that still have enough juice for gigs.

My THD Univalve is a bit underpowered for many gigs, but it's a very nice recordng amp with a lot of versatility. The onboard Hotplate (also sold seperately) would also be useful for those who like the sound of cranking up the output section of the amp while still keeping the levels reasonable.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, check out the all tube, low power amp heads from www.guytronix.com - they're very cool sounding amps that are easy to build and can be modified to meet a variety of tonal preferences. At 1/2 to 8 watts, they're very good choices for tube amp recording at modest levels.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I am actually interested in getting a mini amp (like the mini marshalls or a smokey) for recording. The Zvex would actually be cool for this too.

But I think I might go back to looking at a Vibro champ or the mini Mat.

All great suggestions. Thanks guys.

The small Fenders (PRO JR, Blues Jr) are readily available round here. The other thought is perhaps a Fenderish clone switchable down to 15 watts (The Prosonic is cool because it's switchable between 60 and 30 watts supposedly and I run it on 30 all the time).

No metion of the AC15 so far. Might be another to consdier.

15W is still very loud for a home recording setup if you want a cranked amp sound.

• Members

If you can drop a little cash, the old tweed princetons and champs sound wonderful. Or save a little cash buy going early 60s. I bought my amp 100% for the same reason- recording. These little guys are way easier to deal with IF YOU DONT WANT HEAVY DISTORTION. The 8 inch speakers crap out on the bottom, which I find WAY helpful- built in high pass. I looked for a while before I bought mine... it was worth it! Really worth it. Magic little amps!

• Members

....No metion of the AC15 so far. Might be another to consdier.

unless you've got an iso booth, a 15w amp aint gonna help much in a volume-sorta way. if you can get the prosonic to 2, you'll get an ac15 to 2.2 or so.

certainly, a great tone can be dialed in using a 15w amp for home recording, but you're not gonna be acheiving much in the way of power tube grind, which judging from the sound of the first post is what yer looking for. dropping down a bit more in wattage, like what the champs or crate vc508 offers may get the volume knob a little higher, while at the same time losing (some of) the headroom you've got with the prosonic.

if you've already got the nice recording setup at home, perhaps just hunt down an old oversized anvil case (like for a twin or video monitor), do a little stuffing up of it and get it going as an iso booth
that way, no new amp is needed, which is a bummer :( and it's gonna take a good photographer to turn the resulting pics into a good thead here. but your pro should be granted a whole new life in terms of recording tones, once the volume can start pushing 6-7. speaker is gonna act a little different too.

tube amps owe you nothing at all until the volume is (well) above 3-4.

i've done the smokey route for a few 'sessions' with aux spkrs/cabs. does just fine (like any amp should in general), and when paired with some hotter pups, can get real grindy at not much room volume at all. having the smokey controlled by the guitar's vol knob only though can make for.....um.....a need for gaff tape, when tracking. if the miniamp route is gonna be gone, the lovepedal mini amps might be a slightly better choice, as with the volume control you can at least get the pups open full up. or, i suppose use a volume pedal to control the smokey. the lovepedals sound nice too though.

mark my words, after the upcoming/current 5w tube amp fad dies down a bit, tiny xlr-equipped iso booth/spkr cab combos are gonna be start popping up. folks still wanna get their epi jrs up to 6-7+ for recording and at 5w rms thats just too, too damn loud for home recording. there was one out a couplefew years back, but i dunno if they are still being made.

with a very inefficient 8" or 10", an element design lifted from an SM57 mounted inside, run to an xlr out. house that in a solid box, and with the inefficient spkr, the soundproofing needs are lowered. behringer could do it, its kinda right up their alley, and wouldnt really be all that expensive for them to make (aside from getting the speaker design right). iirc, the other ones were $200ish, and were designed around a 12".

• Members

This is turning into a nice thread. Some great ideas and nice amps here.

Damn that Ampeg looks hot. The Reeves does look amazing.
Seena couple of minicats come up round here at decent prices.

Um, personally, not really looking for grind. Just getting a decent tone without too much breakup actually. Even clean at low volume, the Prosonic is quite dirty and breaks up early. So, been looking for a smaller amp option.

The 15w switchable to 5 sounds awesome. Didn't one of those Gibson Goldtones have that?

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

mark my words, after the upcoming/current 5w tube amp fad dies down a bit, tiny xlr-equipped iso booth/spkr cab combos are gonna be start popping up. folks still wanna get their epi jrs up to 6-7+ for recording and at 5w rms thats just too, too damn loud for home recording. there was one out a couplefew years back, but i dunno if they are still being made.

with a very inefficient 8" or 10", an element design lifted from an SM57 mounted inside, run to an xlr out. house that in a solid box, and with the inefficient spkr, the soundproofing needs are lowered. behringer could do it, its kinda right up their alley, and wouldnt really be all that expensive for them to make (aside from getting the speaker design right). iirc, the other ones were $200ish, and were designed around a 12".

Thanks for the great response. I think this is a great idea for a recording amp.

I'd get one.

• Members

Thanks for the great response. I think this is a great idea for a recording amp.

I'd get one.

i wish they were already here :(

but they'll show.

i'm not even talking about a 'combo' like combo amp, but combination spkr cab and iso box. theres a few diff ways an internal mic could be addressed, but an SM57 (copy) mic capsule mounted inside would keep it cheap and simple, if a bit one-trick (no need to have an openable box if the mic is never gonna move, no hinges'd mean cheaper, that'll get behr moving quicker).

but that way, any amp and home recording setup could be mated with it easily, and theres no added expense for those that already got cool low-watt rigs, which'll be plenty in the next 3-4 years (or potential for a behringer tube amp :eek: ).

• Members

Originally posted by fuzz/karl

thx for the links. i guess i was thinking of a used one (with price of $200). i dunno that a $320-400 iso cab (+ the mic) is gonna fly that great with a crowd thats gonna be scoring tube amps for $99/new. i look forward to somebody bringing us a low-rent version that doesnt have quite the flexibility, and the Randall'd be something to aspire to, if need be.

but, this may be the best solution to Fourth's problem!

• Members

Originally posted by sjaltenb

whats the deal with the Reeves....looks like HiWatt to me..?? same company or somethin?

It's basically a HiWatt clone, they sound killer, and the power scaling feature really works great. Not the most versitile amp though. It's been on my wish list since the LA Amp Show last summer.

• Members

Originally posted by meriphew

On the topic of iso-cabs, I have a nice vocal iso-booth (cost upwards of $2k), and I've tried recording amps in it. IMO it just doesn't sound very good. A great amp in a nice sounding room is where it's at IMO.

Agreed. All my best guitar tones came from isolating the guitar in a large room with one mic close on the speaker and one about 10-12 feet away to capture the room.

Archived