Great small recording amps

Fourth Floor

• Members

We have a very decent home recording setup in our house. Just setting up for a recording session today and started to feel that my Prosonic was a bit loud for that situation. It sits on 2 on the volume a lot. It got me thinking about Jimmy Page's Supros and that sort of cut down in rig for recording.

Any ideas for a great amp that would record well and maybe double as a practice amp?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fender Blues Jr or Pro Jr (15 watters)
ZVEX Nano (1/2 watt!)
Swart Atomic Space Tone (5 Watt)

The Blues Jr is the only one I have any recording experience with, but I can let you know about the Nano soon. I've only played the Swart in-store.

• Members

Fender Champ/VibroChamp/Princeton/Princeton Reverb

Magnatone 213/440

Gibson GA-5T Skylark/GA-8 Discoverer/GA-17RVT Scout/GA-19RVT Falcon

Silvertone 1481/1482/10XL

Supro Supreme/S6416T

Rickenbacker M-11

Old Alamos, Epiphones, Kalamazoos, Gretsches, Mascos, etc.

• Members

I am actually interested in getting a mini amp (like the mini marshalls or a smokey) for recording. The Zvex would actually be cool for this too.

But I think I might go back to looking at a Vibro champ or the mini Mat.

All great suggestions. Thanks guys.

The small Fenders (PRO JR, Blues Jr) are readily available round here. The other thought is perhaps a Fenderish clone switchable down to 15 watts (The Prosonic is cool because it's switchable between 60 and 30 watts supposedly and I run it on 30 all the time).

No metion of the AC15 so far. Might be another to consdier.

• Members

For Oz made, I'd say a BJ's Supreme Reverb would be killer for practice and recording (note the website is out of date and the amps have some nice improvements)...

http://www.bjamplifiers.com.au/supremereverb.html

John told me this amp sounds great at all volumes due to its simple circuit, lower wattage, cathode bias etc. 6V6 reverb and trem in parallel too!

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

For Oz made, I'd say a BJ's Supreme Reverb would be killer for practice and recording (note the website is out of date and the amps have some nice improvements)...

John told me this amp sounds great at all volumes due to its simple circuit, lower wattage, cathode bias etc. 6V6 reverb and trem in parallel too!

I love the Dream when I played through one. Magnificent.

Maybe supreme is worth looking at...

What does the Reeves go down to?

and the Hotties look cool but aren't they crap?

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

The MiniCat was sposed to be a pretty poor amp, wasn't it?

Seen lots of mixed reviews for them. Imported boutique brands like that aren't going to be great value here.

If you want a clone of a great circuit for low $$$, you'd be better to go for the Ceriatone route.

Archived