Trading my Distortion Pro for either a Keeley DS-1 or Tonebone Classic?

Humbucker

• Members

There's a guy who's got a Keeley-modded Boss DS-1 pedal for sale and he said that he might consider trading his Keeley DS-1 for my Fulltone Distortion Pro. He's about a three hours drive away so I can't try it out.

Here's my question, would I be doing myself a favour by trading my Distortion Pro pedal for his Keeley-modded DS-1?

I know that the Distortion Pro has a pretty bad rep but I have days where I love it and other days where I find it kind of useless, I can't make up my mind if I love it or hate it!

8^)

There's also another guy that might trade his Tonebone Classic for my Distortion Pro, maybe that would be a better trade?

• Members

Originally posted by Humbucker

There's a guy who's got a Keeley-modded Boss DS-1 pedal for sale and he said that he might consider trading his Keeley DS-1 for my Fulltone Distortion Pro. He's about a three hours drive away so I can't try it out.

Here's my question, would I be doing myself a favour by trading my Distortion Pro pedal for his Keeley-modded DS-1?

I know that the Distortion Pro has a pretty bad rep but I have days where I love it and other days where I find it kind of useless, I can't make up my mind if I love it or hate it!

8^)

There's also another guy that might trade his Tonebone Classic for my Distortion Pro, maybe that would be a better trade?

I'd go with an MI Audio Tube Zone. It can get close to some of the Distortion Pro's sounds, but it can do much more. It's a lot less finnicky than the DP-1 can be about what runs before it, and it can get more bass, has more sustain, and can get cleaner than the DP-1. I did a head to head with the two myself when the Tube Zone arrived. I agree with you; there were days where I loved the DP-1 and days where I couldn't get what I wanted out of it. Still thought it was a nice pedal though. I don't think I'd trade even a modded DS-1 for it, though.

Brett

• Members

I'd trade my Keeley Vintage Rat for it (or my Keeley DS-1, for that matter). To be completely honest, it's not because I want a Distortion Pro all that badly but rather because I hate those other two pedals. The ToneBone Classic is another dog, IMO. Maybe you should hold out for something cooler to come along?

• Members

I had a Distortion Pro for a few months, I couldn't find a good sound on it, it was just too grainy sounding. If you like a smoother breakup the Keeley DS-1 is great for that. I don't have any experience with the Tonebone, I'd try one, but there just too damn big to put on my pedalboard.

For what it's worth if you go to my Soundclick site (in my sig) I have a few single mic rehearsal recordings with long solos where the signal chain is SG>Keeley TS-9>Keeley DS-1>Boss GT-3 delay>Marshall 2000 & Fender Deville in stereo . If you want to check them out scroll to the bottom of the page and listen to:

REHEARSAL 12-19-06 BIG CLOCK
REHEARSAL 12-19-06 DEMON HAUNTED WORLD

It's definetly not metal, more classic rock tones.

• 1 month later...

Archived