any logic users in tha house?

Hmmm... you've got a few choices:

Cubase / Nuendo.

Logic

Digital Performer.

Audition and Sonar are out, because they're both PC only... unless you want to run Boot Camp and Windows XP.

Tell me a little more about what you want / need to be able to do with it, and the styles of music you're doing, and I might have a recommendation for you.

PS Pardon the pun, but what is your logic (or if you prefer the punless version, your reason) for wanting to aviod Pro Tools?

• Members

logic is great... i'm a digital performer user but am sometimes envious of some of the features in logic. the motu 828 is a very cool interface but if all you need is one or two ins, i'd probably just go with an mbox and the protools that comes with. It's about the most cost effective overall and almost the same amount of features. For me it's all about how much i know an application... and i've been using dp since 2000 so i don't really have the patience to switch to anything else.

• Members

phil, i am planning on getting a firepod as an interface, so i can do multiple tracks in at a time...

basically, ill probably be doing my mixing and editing in the DAW, and tracking all instruments, so sequencing isn't nearly as important.

on my PC i used cool edit pro, just so you have a frame of reference as to my understanding of software...

basically, i want something easy to use and that will be compatible with different kinds of interfaces and mixers, in case i change up my setup later (the compatability ssues is why i wanna stay away from por tools, and the learning curve is intimidating)

Well, since Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition isn't available on the Mac (again, unless you want to dual boot via Boot Camp - which, since there's apparently no significant performance "hit" when running Windows XP and Windows software applications, might be a viable option for you), you're going to have to learn a new software application.

If you're looking for something similar in look and feel to CEP, Pro Tools LE probably comes the closest, and IMHO, the learning curve is about as easy as it gets for a major DAW program - certainly easier for most new users to get a handle on than Logic. However, as you mentioned, you're locked into Digidesign or M-Audio hardware if you want to run that software. However, one significant advantage to Pro Tools for many users is industry compatability. While you can fairly easily export WAV or AIF files from most DAW programs and then import them into other programs, that doesn't transfer everything seamlessly... plug ins and settings, automation, placement of wave files that don't start at zero on the timeline - all of that is either completely lost or can be difficult to transfer between programs. But since Pro Tools is so widely used in so many studios around the world, it makes finding and interacting with other Pro Tools based studios fairly easy. Additionally, as an engineer, you're more likely to find the studio you're working in is using PT, which means you can sit down and get right to work on a program you're already familiar with.

That sort of compatability and familiarity isn't a requirement for everyone, and not eveyone likes the same things in a user interface or DAW program's feature set, and IMHO, it's a myth to say that if a studio doesn't have PT, then they're not capable of getting the job done. Each of the main DAW programs has strengths and limitations that make them better suited for some tasks and some users more than others. For example, when it comes to Logic (and I used Logic as my main progranm from the very beginning - actually from 1988 when I purchased its predecessor program - C-Lab's Notator - up until around five or six years ago when I switched over to Pro Tools), I consider it to be possibly the finest MIDI sequencer ever coded. It's very powerful, and once you learn the program (the "Environment" setup screen is what confuses most new users), it's quick and easy to use. It's very flexible, comes with a extensive set of good sounding virtual instruments , has great notation and the ability to edit MIDI performances via the notation screen... it's a great program for manipulating MIDI data. However, I don't find it as quick to use nor as intuitive for basic audio recording and editing tasks. Logic can also directly interface with Digidesign hardware. Because of this, many studios use Logic and Pro Tools together; using Logic for composition and MIDI tasks and Pro Tools for audio recording and editing. That doesn't mean that Logic isn't a capable DAW program on its own - it certainly is. But not all users feel it's ideal for all of their needs.

Are there any other DAW users in your area, or maybe a store salesperson or three who are really adept on various programs? If so, see if you can get a demo from an enthuastic owner/ user for each of the programs you're considering. Ask them to perform various different basic tasks, as well as have them show you some of their favorite tricks and features. That should give you a lot of insight into the use and the "look and feel of each of the programs, and will hopefully help you decide which one is the best "fit" for your own personal preferences and needs.

• Members

thanks so much phil, thats pretty much the kind of feedback i was looking for. i'm sure you can understand my uneasiness with not having most interface options open with protools, but i do hear LE is super user friendly.

i'm gonna do some sniffing around and see what i can come up with as far as oing some sit-ins at a few studios and gather some more info that way...

thanks again, keep those opinions coming!

• Members

I've got experience using both Pro-Tools LE and Logic Pro. I would say that PT is the easiest to grasp the quickest, as far as simple editing, etc. It's amazing for just audio recording/mixing. Buuuut, I jumped to Logic about a year and a half ago, and I'm very happy. Logic's built in plug-ins I find to be far superior to the included PT plug-ins. Not only that, there are a lot more of them, as well as software instruments that are fantastic. For me, it's a better all around solution. With PT I would need to have a good Waves bundle and Reason to compete with what comes with Logic. Logic isn't cheap, but you get so much with it. Not to mention Logic 7 can use Apple Loops and if you have things you dabble in on Garageband, you can open those sessions in Logic without a problem. It's actually really nice. That said, most studios are indeed using PT. If I had the money to blow on all kinds of extra plug-ins and goodies, I probably would have stayed in PT.

That's my take...however, check out all the programs you can, and go with the one that you feel the most comfortable with. Good luck.

• Members

so ive been looking at the PT interfaces, and damn are they expensive compared to the non-Pt limited ones! am i correct in seeing this? the digidesign stuff is insanely spendy for the features, i think...

basically, i need to be able to record at least 8 tracks in (prefferably more like 12) onto seperate tracks in the DAW via firewire.

the firepod is my leading contender thus far, and the price is about wat i want to spend. somewhere around $500.

i have also been looking at the mackie onyx series, and although they are a little more spendy, its nice that its a mixer/interface in the same package (sorta, if you get the optional i/o card, which comes with it free from MF)

is there any other alternatives that are similar to the onyx line? anyone have experience with these yet?

i know i am in the wrong forum for this, but the recording and mac forums are sleepers compared to our forum... you guys are much more helpful.

• Members

I've gotten to use the Presonus stuff, and I'll tell you, the Firepod is excellent for the price. Seriously, it's very nice sounding. It doesn't have the features that some do, but it sounds good for a basic 8 channel interface. You can also daisy chain them together, so you can basically have one plugged into the computer, and then have another plugged into the first firepod. This gives you 16 channels. That would get you where you need to go. If you would get Logic Pro, you wouldn't really need an Onyx (and they're big and bulky and take up space). You're going to be tweaking things in Logic anyway, and the eq's, etc. more than do the job. Also, look into the motu stuff. It's a little more expensive, but also very nice. They have a new 8 channel interface that's about $550 and I believe it has ADAT Lightpipe in...which would allow you to hook up an additional Presonus digimax(these sound excellent as well), or something of the sort. You have a lot of options.

• Members

If I had a Mac, I would definitely go with Logic. As mentioned earlier, the plug-ins are amazing. You can make killer music right out of the box.

As it stands, I'm using Cubase SX on the PC. I've already invested too much money to switch to an Apple/Logic setup. :(

• Members

However....if you buy the education versions, you can't upgrade them later...they have all the same features, but are coded in a way that makes it so you can't upgrade from 7.2 to 7.4 for example...and that would stink....and it would really stink when they come out with Logic 8. As a logic 7 user you would pay 300 for the full upgrade, but if you have the education version, you'd have to pay the full amount, which would be $1000 or more. So, think ahead about how you'd want to do things, and what your future would look like. Believe me, in a couple years, you'll want it to be 300 and not 1500.

• Members

I use tracktion2

seriously a great program, easy to use, and the built in sampler is one of the best I've seen. My friend bought t1 when it was just some guy on the internet writing the program (boutique code writer?) since then mackie has bought it, and help him upgrade it, also includes some great mackie plugins.

if you are worried about capatabilitiy with other programs, just remember you are recording wav files, and you can export those into any other program.

you won't get all your plug-in setting saved, but it's not a huge deal seriolously, I've had to throw files from tracktion-protools, and tracktion-logic with no major issues.

Archived