OT: The Raconteurs

aeroslepperin

• Members

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

It's good, and I don't like many of them newfangled MTV bands. Brendon Benson's songs are better than White's. Oh, and White overuses the Whammy pedal now - he's like a rootsy Tom Morello.

if you watch the White Stripes Live dvd Jack has that same problem. Keep your foot off the whammy.

• Members

they were on austin city limits last sat night and i was pretty set back, best rock stuff i've seen in a long time. haven't heard their album material but i was impressed. i like the way he uses his whammy like a wah but the average crowd has a dumbfounded look on their faces as to what he is doing. he also has a POG that he used alot. i am starting to love jack white's simplistic tone.

• Members

Originally posted by dZjupp

they were on austin city limits last sat night and i was pretty set back, best rock stuff i've seen in a long time. haven't heard their album material but i was impressed. i like the way he uses his whammy like a wah but the average crowd has a dumbfounded look on their faces as to what he is doing. he also has a POG that he used alot. i am starting to love jack white's simplistic tone.

I Tivo'd it and just watched it a couple days ago. I was really impressed. I was drooling over that Gretsch JW was using. I thought the songs were good, but not mind blowing, but the performance really brought them to life. Benson is pretty rad. I loved the old archtop he was playing. I can't remember who else was on the show, but it was someone I was also mildly interested in.

edit: oh yeah it was Cat Power. I love her voice, but she's such a freak, so much so that it makes me like her music less when I watch her peform it.

• Members

I saw them live last summer at the Virgin Music Festival here in Toronto. I had just heard their first single before that.
It was an awesome performance. I am yet to pick up the album though, I usually get disappointed when I listen to a band's album after I've seen them live....

...kinda the same feeling as when you watch the movie after you've read the book.

• Members

Originally posted by CapnMarvel

It's good, and I don't like many of them newfangled MTV bands. Brendon Benson's songs are better than White's. Oh, and White overuses the Whammy pedal now - he's like a rootsy Tom Morello.

i picked it up yesterday and have the opposite opinion. brendon's songs are too poppy for me. but the album is growing on me quickly.

• Members
Originally posted by dZjupp

I saw that last night, it was my first time to hear them and I enjoyed it a lot. Only problem I could see was Jack's guitar sometimes got lost in the mix, but I didn't think he overdid anything. That being said, the Whammy can be overdone very quickly so its not too surprising he has done it before.

On a side note...I loved his funky 70's 3 pickup guitar. Nice. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by aeroslepperin

is the album worth picking up?

i've only heard the 2 singles off the album and they've both gotten stuck in my head recently...but if the rest of the album is {censored}e, i'd rather not piss my cash down the toilet.

ANY band that covers Teenage Kicks live is fine by me!

:thu: :thu: :thu:

Archived