Which bandname of these do you like best ?

ollenorin

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All those band names suck.

You need something that's obvious and can sound kind of dirty, maybe even a double etendre. Something like...

The Crap Shooters.

Think about it. It sounds vaguely dirty, and I think it is, but if anyone asks, you can always just play innocent.

You'll thank me later. :D

• Members
Originally posted by capnbringdown

All those band names suck.

You need something that's obvious and can sound kind of dirty, maybe even a double etendre. Something like...

The Crap Shooters.

Think about it. It sounds vaguely dirty, and I think it is, but if anyone asks, you can always just play innocent.

You'll thank me later.
:D

No. No, he won't. :(

• Members
Originally posted by Northstar

Any name will do. The name will not make the band. The band will make the name (if you put enough time and effort behind it)...

Read the following names and imagine you're in that band at a time when the name has not been agreed upon yet:

Alice Cooper

Steely Dan

By themselves, these band names mean nothing. But the history and our perception of these bands is what infuses the names with meaning...

These two have meaning. One's an old spirit and one's a dildo. :D

I agree that band names don't really make a difference, unles syou blow it and pick something completely {censored}ing stupid, but there's a lot of bands out there with names that probably should sound stupid or lame but don't.

• Members

'Riding Giants' is a freakin great film BTW (documetary about Big Wave riders by Stacy Perelta). I always get caught up watching it when it comes on cable. Makes me want to take up surfing again even on our teeny northeast florida waves

And to be on topic... I like "city" as part of a name, but I just don't like what it's paired with there. The other two don't do anything for me.

• Members

How about

SAVAGE ANIMAL

Just kidding of course. After 50 years of rock, naming a band is getting difficult. As you see there have been lots of really dumb suggestions here. So like this guy said:

Originally posted by Northstar

Electric Light Orchestra

Blue Oyster Cult

Duran Duran

Alice Cooper

Steely Dan

By themselves, these band names mean nothing. But the history and our perception of these bands is what infuses the names with meaning...

You can add The Beatles to that list.

So I'd go for City Scan, it's not bad.

• Members

Originally posted by iodine74

'Riding Giants' is a freakin great film BTW (documetary about Big Wave riders by Stacy Perelta). I always get caught up watching it when it comes on cable. Makes me want to take up surfing again even on our teeny northeast florida waves

And to be on topic... I like "city" as part of a name, but I just don't like what it's paired with there. The other two don't do anything for me.

That's where I got the name from. I was scanning through the On Demand movies and saw "Riding Giants". I originally assumed it meant literally riding the mythological creatures known as giants, though. I never actually watched the film. Heh.

• Members

i think that the name wont have much meaning until people can assosiate it with your music.

for me the only limit to the band name is, will i feel embarressed telling people?

think about that

when someone asks, so whats your band called?
are you gonna be proud to answer??

• Members
Originally posted by capnbringdown

These two have meaning. One's an old spirit and one's a dildo.
:D

I agree that band names don't really make a difference, unles syou blow it and pick something completely {censored}ing stupid, but there's a lot of bands out there with names that probably should sound stupid or lame but don't.

It's an interesting point, a few names of that list "mean something"
That's not to say that it's 'needed for success' or even of particular interest, but a lot of those names aren't really just arbitrary

Duran Duran is the baddie in Barbarella - sort of sophisticated and sexy and mildly subversive while not afraid of a little campiness [seems the band fits that]

ELO is a literal description of the band!! -- an Electric (as in amps and such) Light Orchestra

As Cap'n mentioned...Steely Dan a ref to Burroughs kind of showing that "we're hip litterati" vibe

Not that choosing these names was instrumental to any sort of success nor even that audiences neccessarilly "get it"
-- just that those folks migh have chosen their names for expressive reasons.

Will it help? dunno (I never, personally, give a sht myself) - don't agonize -- but have fun with it!

Archived