Rechargeable Batteries

gil1

• Members

I have a few rechargable 9vs I use in fuzzes. They sound fine. My old DOD Grunge back in the day sounded on steroids with an alkaline, and better with a carbon battery, but that all depends on the pedal. I can't tell any differences between Ni-MH, alkaline and carbon with the Hop Hed.

Oh yeah, another benefit is that Ni-MH batteries don't leak, so there's no risk of ruining your $200 pedal because of a dodgy battery.

• Members

They can be kind of expensive at first purchase, like 3-4 times the price of a standard 9v, which may put people off. Then there's also the cost of the recharger, which is $50+. But when you take into account that they can be recharged about 1000 times, not to mention the environmental benefits....

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

dont last long.

especially in a delay

Well yeah, you have to sacrifice some lasting ability if you change to rechargable, but it's about 80% of an alkaline in my experience. No battery is going to last long in a delay, especially a digital delay.

• Members

I saw someone on TGP who used one of these:

221545_X_2006-07-03_141622_911.jpg

to power his entire board. With eight NiMH 1.2v batteries, the thing gives 9.6 volts DC with 2000mAH, which should last fairly long time with a normal pedal rig. Then it's just a matter of remembering to charge the batteries before each gig/rehearsal. It's not a bad idea at all... although a bit fiddly.

/Andreas

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

I saw someone on TGP who used one of these:

221545_X_2006-07-03_141622_911.jpg

to power his entire board. With eight NiMH 1.2v batteries, the thing gives 9.6 volts DC with 2000mAH, which should last fairly long time with a normal pedal rig. Then it's just a matter of remembering to charge the batteries before each gig/rehearsal. It's not a bad idea at all... although a bit fiddly.

/Andreas

ah, in essence i guess the idea isnt bad, but thats a crapload of money on batteries. i use a godlyke power all and dedicated supplys for my echo park and DMM and it works fine. i do, however, want to get a fuzz pedal and try the different batteries to see if the sound difference is discernable.

• Members

If you are paying for batteries, rechargables will pay for themselves after a while, the only downside being that they won't last as long as a normal battery will.

The big pack of AA batteries is actually a rather cool idea, I had though to using a couple of the rechargable batteries you get for rc cars and the like, and possibly a wee regulator circuit to set the voltage properly (I have used for other electronics circuits that take anything from 7v-24v and output a solid 9v, which is pretty handy)

David

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

They can be kind of expensive at first purchase, like 3-4 times the price of a standard 9v, which may put people off. Then there's also the cost of the recharger, which is $50+.

woah , you're paying $50 for a charger?

• Members
:eek:

Buy a dunlop DC brick or something. $80-$100. No more rechargable / disposable batteries, save tons of money. If you have boutique pedals, you can buy an adapter that clips to the 9v battery receptacle in your pedal to the brick. Drill a hole in the case for a clean fit, and you're good to go.

• Members
Originally posted by MorePaul

woah , you're paying $50 for a charger?

I think the Energizer ones that will do 9vs are like AUD$70+ down here, but it's been a while since I've looked. I inherited this old huge Eveready one from the Nickle-Cadmium days - takes about 24 hours to recharge :freak:

• Members

ah, didn't realize where you were

here, you can get niMH rechargers for like $12USD or a lot of times they are bundled with battery packs

for USA (note : they have some 220 compat chargers as well) I find
http://batteryjunction.com pretty good...there are cheaper places, but these guys tend to stock the higher capacity batts (like 2600mah AAs)

and are a good value (a lot of the elec component surplus houses carry the "greenies"...the non-branded bulk batts too, but check on the actual capacity)

(for Seth, I'm not sure if shipping and any taxes would make it a god deal or not)

Archived