CK3 and other forumites interested in bit crushing

autopilot

• Members
Originally posted by autopilot

try running both ring mods in parallel (one fixed setting and the other controlled with an exp pedal)

Both channels of the GT-8 have to be run through the same FX chain, so this is not possible. :(

I experimented with my original idea and found that the second ring modulator in the chain cancelled out the first one. A single COSM ring mod with an input-triggered frequency sweep is defintiely a component in the sound I have in mind.

I also tinkered with the sitar simulator and defretter effects and ended up adding a band pass envelope filter with a shifting center frequency into the fx chain mix. The timbre is still not 100% there, though. I'm still not hearing the bit reduction "explosion" that occurs during extreme frequency shifts. :o

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by autopilot

try a comp + phaser (negative feedback) instead of 1 ring mod

I think that I may have misunderstood your post. Was I supposed to place these other two effects in the same chain as a ring modulator?

If you decide to build an analog sample rate reducer pedal, please let me know. :wave:

• Members
I think that I may have misunderstood your post. Was I supposed to place these other two effects in the same chain as a ring modulator?

If you decide to build an analog sample rate reducer pedal, please let me know.
:wave:

Run in parallel A)compressor+phaser (negative feedback)
b)Ring modulator

There are a couple of ideas i'm testing, it'll be a workalike not true bitcrushing, as soon as i can do clips will share it here.

• Members
Run in parallel A)compressor+phaser (negative feedback)

b)Ring modulator

Dookie ... again, the GT-8's effects proceesing engine will not allw me to do this ... :o:mad:

If anyone is willing to build an analog sample reduction pedal with a blend control and frequency knob for a reasonable price, please PM me.

:wave:

• Members

...or here... short clip...

... this isn't guaranteed to happen through us, but hopefully they'll be getting these out in the real world on a regular basis through someone. I'll post something once I found out what's going on.

devi-

Is that something like a Sample-Rate Reducer with Pulse wave or staircase wave modulating the frequency?

I'm not sure if I hear actual bit-crushing as well.

Does anybody make a Bit-Crusher? NOT a Sample-Rate Reducer.

• Members
:thu:

I believe that these were the same parameters on the Alesis Ineko, and it provided me with sufficient bit crushing versatility.

There is bitcrushing throughout Broken and The Downward Spiral by NIN. The industiral band Das Ich also uses this effect frequently.

see: the guitar solo in Ruiner (on the Downward Spiral).

About a minute of bit-crushed, octaved, and generally {censored}ed up guitar goodness. Probably my favorite moment on that record.

• Members

Analog Sample Rate Reducer - FOR SALE!

One interesting effect that very few stompboxes do is sample rate reduction. This effect is common in computer music and VST plugins because it is easy to do on a computer. Sample rate reduction sounds something like ring modulation, but a little more crunchy and much more musical. It is the result of estimating the amplitude of a signal at audible rates. The analog sample rate reducer is the realization of this effect in a completely analog form. The operation is very simple-a true bypass stomp switch turns the effect on and off, and a knob controls the sample rate. If you have always enjoyed the sound of sample rate reduction or are looking for interesting ways to alter your signal, this pedal is the perfect solution.

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/stuff/index.html

• Members

Analog Sample Rate Reducer - FOR SALE!

One interesting effect that very few stompboxes do is sample rate reduction. This effect is common in computer music and VST plugins because it is easy to do on a computer. Sample rate reduction sounds something like ring modulation, but a little more crunchy and much more musical. It is the result of estimating the amplitude of a signal at audible rates. The analog sample rate reducer is the realization of this effect in a completely analog form. The operation is very simple-a true bypass stomp switch turns the effect on and off, and a knob controls the sample rate. If you have always enjoyed the sound of sample rate reduction or are looking for interesting ways to alter your signal, this pedal is the perfect solution.

well god damn. Colin really knows his {censored}.

• Members
Strange, I mailed to Colin 2 or 3 days ago and the pedal was still for sale. Actually the website says, it's for sale. He added recently some clips but I didn't like it so much ...

Oooh ... I may have to contact him again in the next few days. He was willing to add a blend knob to the pedal for a nominal fee. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Strange, I mailed to Colin 2 or 3 days ago and the pedal was still for sale. Actually the website says, it's for sale. He added recently some clips but I didn't like it so much ...

As of a few weeks ago, it's definitely gone. :cry:

• Members
Not analog, but Digitech makes a few products that do this. My VX400 (a vocal effects box) has bit crushing and Whammy effects in it...

Interesting ... I just read the manual for this product. Apparently, it has the Pixellator effect from the XP300 Space Station. :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members
still tweaking, need to redo some things and add some parts, but it's coming, here's a brief
clip

Will it be possible to dial in a bit more static than you have in the clip? Either way, it sounds like a good start. :thu:

Archived