mattpas

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

We do get this though:

5W 1x12ax7/EL84

0-5W "power sponge"

Optical Trem

FX Loop

Looking forward to checking it out at NAMM.

Cool amp, but at $599 MSRP, that might be about $400 street, which is a little steep when Nate from Bumbox built a custom-voiced head that can be switched from 1 to 15 watts for $425. No trem, fx loop, attenuator and built in vibrators though...

Now if it's closer to $200 - $250... I may "need" a new amp!

c

• Members

I actually had a chance to try the Ibanez Valbee.

I remembered asking about it around these boards, as a possible replacement to my roland microcube... From what i remembered, the Valbee didn't sound particularly amazing. It might have to the with the smaller speakers; the amp just sounded really small and not particularly warm. Then again, i didn't get to play it for a long time;

I have seen them go 2nd hand for as cheap as US$100 around here though

• Members

On the Ibanez 5w - if you can score one cheap enough it would probably be pretty cool if you rehoused it in a head cabinet. A 6.5" in a plastic box isn't going to give you a "big" sound [i do have an amp with 4 x 5"'s in a closed cabinet that sounds pretty good], but the features on the Ibby - EQ, FX loop and 6L6 - would eat the EVJ for breakfast.

• Members
Originally posted by Verne Andru

On the Ibanez 5w - if you can score one cheap enough it would probably be pretty cool if you rehoused it in a head cabinet. A 6.5" in a plastic box isn't going to give you a "big" sound
[i do have an amp with 4 x 5"'s in a closed cabinet that sounds pretty good]
, but the features on the Ibby - EQ, FX loop and 6L6 - would eat the EVJ for breakfast.

why rehouse? :confused: gotta be a way to drop a (switchable) spkr out on it.

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

why rehouse?
:confused:
gotta be a way to drop a (switchable) spkr out on it.

Cause it's FUGLY! To each his own, but it looks like a transistor radio, not a guitar amp. But, yeah, wiring a speaker jack and leaving it as-is would be the easiest way out. I'd put it in a "normal" head cab and add an L-pad, DI and a bunch of other I/O and toss the rest.

• Members
Originally posted by Verne Andru

Cause it's FUGLY!.....

i really dont even think i could muster a counter to that, and i love a good mid-day argument. i was thinking strictly in terms of flexibility, just to keep the spkr involved. although, headphone jack--> ipod/computer spkrs would likely be no worse than the stock 6.5", and for home/vaca use certainly doable. i dont wanna have to drag a seperate cab everywhere, not a 1x or 2x12.

i wonder if that shade of blue could qualify as brewtal :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

i wonder if that shade of blue could qualify as brewtal
:confused:

The thing is a design oxymoron. I do product design and try to go as outside the box as possible, but there are certain things you have to keep in mind. #1 is who is going to buy the thing. On the one hand they try to scream HIGH GAIN and the features are clearly aimed at a metal-head market, yet the cab looks like it's better matched with a Daisy Rock flower guitar. It's like ... damn, it should go down in the history of product design as a perfect example of what NOT to do.

Archived