murder city devils appreciation thread

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

I still think the melvins were the best thing to come out of seattle.

Well we are talking different decades man.

Seriously though Murder City Devils was pure hype crap. I asked a girl once why she liked them and I {censored} you not her answer was, "They are just superficial, that is so great!" I thought they died in 2000. Cooler {censored} bands in Seattle like Camerosmith, Zeke and Bloodhag.

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

oh geeze. Seattle crap. Actually if you are from Seattle you call it Kent-rock.

Far better stuff from Seattle. Blood Brothers, Botch, Kinski come to mind.

Wow, love your pedals dude but I think you're way off here. You can't compare MCD with bands like Botch and Blood Brothers. They're completely different styles. And the whole "superficial" comment by some random girl is something I've never heard from anyone who loves or hates them. The only complaints I've ever heard about them is the singer's voice, which I can understand. It's very distinct, and much like the Jesus Lizard or Nation of Ulysses, you either love it or hate it.

Lyrically I think The Devils had a lot going on. The songs were a lot like a Bukowski novel, but way before that was a hip thing to do like it is now. I always found the singer's voice to be a lot like David Yow, so I dug it. I think bands like The Hold Steady owe a lot to The Devils for putting a rock sound back into Indie music that wasn't there for a long time. Sure, they might have been hyped at the time, but hype is sometimes deserving.

• Members

blood brothers are awesome.

only good thing about murder city devils is that pretty girls makes graves was born out of the ashes.

• Members

MCD aren't the best band around, but you have to give them credit for having lots of energy, passion and having fun when they played. Plus Coady kicks some major ass, but is much better in Big Business (and now the Melvins).

• Members

I am not gonna say just cause I lived in Seattle for about a decade that I am right. But I will say we are probably talking differences between local politics more than anything. Though living right in the middle of Seattle MCD was a phenomena that was way too hipster. As if you had to have some sort of Devils merch on you at all times to get to hang out at the Cha Cha Lounge. I mean I like PBR as much as the next guy but I am not gonna buy at the bar a 40 to drink in a bag unless I am in an alley someplace. I am not trying to compare directly the bands I mentioned like Blood Bros either I am just saying there is a lot of music in Seattle that doesn't get a lot of buzz cause it is often wasted on superficial cool kid image stuff. "It's not the band I hate it's their fans" to quote the band Sloan. The hipster "fans" of MCD were twenty somethings who were constantly going through that 7th to 8th grade conversion every 6 months.

I say if you want organs in your rock music check out RFTC damnit! :love:

• Members

red fot thili cheppers? ... oh, i get it, you mean rocket from the crypt. i've always been partial to drive like jehu, myself. or clikatat ikatow, or hot snakes, or any of those other offsprings (but not the offspring, of course).

but anyway, seattle bands... mcd are terrible. does anybody really enjoy them? if we want to go old, then, hey, melvins always did it for me. or we could go older... sonics? we'll skip queensryche. but from the locality, so many good bands. kinski is a good mention. growing is another good one, originally from olympia. but now i'm rambling, and the bar cut me off hours ago... :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by zarathustra1978

red fot thili cheppers? ... oh, i get it, you mean rocket from the crypt. i've always been partial to drive like jehu, myself. or clikatat ikatow, or hot snakes, or any of those other offsprings (but not the offspring, of course).

but anyway, seattle bands... mcd are terrible. does anybody really enjoy them? if we want to go old, then, hey, melvins always did it for me. or we could go older... sonics? we'll skip queensryche. but from the locality, so many good bands. kinski is a good mention. growing is another good one, originally from olympia. but now i'm rambling, and the bar cut me off hours ago...
:cry:

queensryche was from bellevue.... splains a lot

• Members
Originally posted by zarathustra1978

hehe, you made me laugh
:freak::love:

I lived there for a little over a year. It's the kind of upperclass suburb that gives upperclass suburbs a bad name... Had all this wannabe downtown-ness... like expensive resturaunts with food that didnt live up to the price... fake culture... a giant mall full of middle aged women with great plans on how to spend all their husbands money... and of course... the russian owned minimart that sold expired milk.

Archived