I thought Rickenbackers were stereotypically bright?

aeroslepperin

• Members

Originally posted by monkeyboy23

If your singer is sharp and cutting, you SHOULD be darker to balance out the sound unless you're going for too much treble on pupose.

i am. but for my own interests, etc. i'd like to be able to be sharp without having to kick on some sort of treble boost.

i was just wondering last night at rehearsal if it was the pickup or the guitar...or both...

• Members

I have a Ric 650 [see avatar] with mini-humbuckers. It's closer to a Les Paul tone-wise and gets really meaty and ballsy. When I want bright I use my fat-strat with lipsticks - it gets to ice-pick-in-the-forehead bright. In the Ric line, I believe it's their single-coils that are known for "bright and jangly" not their humbuckers. On a solid-body guitar, the type of wood they use makes about as much difference to the tone as the colour of your pickguard. Most of it is in the electronics, nut, saddles, frets and strings.

• Members

Originally posted by aeroslepperin

thanks verne... what are my options for replacement pickups for rics? i haven't seen many...

Which Ric?

I believe GFS has some Ric replacements out now and if you really wanted to you could probably put a Ric single-coil where the bucker currently is but you'll have to live with the 60-cycle hum. I got the 650 because the pups are so good and have never even considered swapping them - even though I've swapped out stuff on just about every other guitar I've ever owned.

• Members

i have a 620. the hum is what killed me in the first place. i'll look at the GFS. not that i'm really dissatisfied with the humbucker in the bridge. i'm just looking for options.

however, i'm not so sure that the single coil in the bridge is paired correctly with the humbucker...it sounds really boomy in comparison.

• Members

Originally posted by aeroslepperin

i have a 620. the hum is what killed me in the first place. i'll look at the GFS. not that i'm really dissatisfied with the humbucker in the bridge. i'm just looking for options.

however, i'm not so sure that the single coil in the bridge is paired correctly with the humbucker...it sounds really boomy in comparison.

That might be something worth looking at. My bridge bucker solo'd is actually quite bright - not strat or tele - but getting close. I believe the Ric buckers have 4 leads so they can be wired in a split-coil config. If you still have you're single in the neck, think about putting in a push-pull pot so you can toggle between Neck/BridgeBucker and Neck/BridgeSingle and also be able to toggle the bridge between humbucking and single coil. The sweetest sound I get out of my fat strat is when the bridge is coil-split with the neck - they are both in single-coil but are RWRP to each other and cancels the hum.

I bet with some creative wiring you'll be able to get close to the tones you seek.

Archived