Looking for pedal recommendations for acoustic gtr

cslos

• Members

I'm looking for ideas on what fx pedal(s) to use for my acoustic guitar. I play a Martin D-18VE (2005) with a Fishman Ellipse VT pickup. I plan on playing shows with my band very shortly and I definitely need some control over my sound. We have an indie/acoustic type sound (if you want to hear for yourself try: www.myspace.com/atracurarock)

What I need: Compression, EQ, Reverb, Delay, Volume control, and maybe Feedback control. Reasonbly adjustable parameters on most FX.

What I don't really need: Guitar, Amp, or Pickup modelling. Tons of useless presets (though some would be allright).

I was pretty much sold on the Zoom A2.1U, but after reading some so-so reviews of this product I thought that I would do a bit more research. For now I'm really looking for an all-in-one pedal, but any thoughts or ideas are welcome. Thanks.

• Members

I'd go with a LR Baggs Para DI and a nice Reverb/Delay pedal like a Boss DD-3, etc. The Baggs has excellent control over volume, EQ, and feedback issues - plus it a killer DI for going into a PA or for recording. Runs forever on a 9v battery too.

Curious as to why you want Comp with an acoustic? I think it kills the dynamics and only encourages feedback myself...

• Members

Hi Erksin, thanks for the reply, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I've never heard of L.R. Baggs, but I like what I've read about the pedal so far.

I have a lot more experience with recording/engineering than I do with live performance and I've found compression to be useful most of the time on my guitar tracks in the studio. I play more of a "Dropped-D", riffing style than flatpicking or open chords so a full tone is generally more important to me than dynamic range. Perhaps this Para DI or something similar can give me that without compression...?

• Members

I don't know if the LR will do what you're asking regarding a 'compression-like' effect - I think I'd try to borrow a decent Comp to see if I like it before plunking down the cash. I'd stay away from the Orange Squeezer/DynaComp style boxes and go for something more subtle that doesn't screw with your attack like an opto-based Demeter or Diamond comp. I've just always felt the fewer effects used with an acoustic the better.

Depending on what you're plugging into, you may get some natural compression anyway - especially if you're going into a guitar amp...

Archived