Mic Position?!

JakeRob

• Members

How far off axis you put it is generally down to taste. Directly at the centre is brightest, the edges are duller. Give it a listen and see what you prefer.

Just to clarify:

Sainty meant at the center of one of the speakers is brightest, and the edges of the speakers are duller.

• Members

Maybe try this:

Turn your amp on and take it off standby after warming it up.

Take the cardboard center roll off paper towel roll and stick it to your ear. Stick the other end to the speaker and try to hear for the spot where there's the most white noise. In the very close vaccinity of that spot should you put your mic....

• Members

are you recording on your own, or with other ambient noise as well, like drums, bass, etc?

if on your own i'd say about 6 to 9 inches away from the cone, and about 1/3 of the way "in" on the radius... i wouldn't worry so much about the angle at that distance...

if you're recording with other noise around you'll have to push in closer, in which case you may want to move slightly further out, and angle towards the centre of the cone. if you can listen withheadphones to the mic signal and play with it, there's no right or wrong way to mic up...

i wouldn't bother using an sm57 in the back, it'll probably sound crappy...

• Members

i do this too when playing in church. you mean 3/4 without the "?

Oops- yes, I meant 3/4 of the way... not 3/4 inches! Thanks for spotting that!

And actually I remembered something else too... last time I think I had the mic near the edge of the cone, but with the head of the mic pointed in toward the center of the cone. Almost on the grillcloth too. Sounded pretty darn good!

-Ben

• Members

I unplug the guitar, leave the cable plugged to the amp and touch the tip with my finger. The resulting buzz will help you locate the loudest spot- then mark it on your grill with a sharpie(or tape if you don't want to devalue it). Use that as a visable reference when micing. Other posters are 100% correct about a simple tilt or adjustment can make all the difference.

Good micing will negate need for EQ!:thu:

Archived