What should I do with this guitar?

Klisk

• Members

Okay, here's the story in a nutshell:

Back before I played guitar, when I was likely 9 years old or so, my uncle started building me a guitar. Actually, he built guitars for a living, and according to my aunt they went for like 3 grand a pop. Not sure I believe her, but that's besides the point. I do remember him (vaguely) telling me he was building me a guitar, and he would finish it after his (current) project.

Well anyways, the guitar was never finished, as you're probably suspecting. After he finished the other guitar he was working on, he promptly went to NYC and sold it off for a good chunk of change. After getting that money he promptly went down to his drug dealer and scored some heroin, which was his undoing of course, he OD'd that night and killed himself.

So.. My aunt gave my Mom what was of the guitar he was building me, since it was technically mine. I got it when I was older and started playing guitar, and it's been collecting dust in my room ever since. It's kind of a depressing relic, so perhaps it's no wonder I haven't thought about it for 8 years.

Here it is:

2hdv3hj.jpg

2gxnu5c.jpg

The neck is totally a Warmoth, I have no {censored}ing clue what type of wood the body is, but it's a rather interesting cut at any rate. Only slotted for a single coil, but no routing. I'm not sure what he was planning to do with the thing, it's incredibly incomplete.

So yeah. I'm not sure if I should just mount the neck to the body and hang it up as decoration, or if I need to save it and actually -- You know -- Make it playable. :confused:

Can anyone at least tell me what type of wood the body (and even neck) are? I just don't know. :freak:

• Members

maple neck (with a touch of birdseye) in it...and the body is maple capped for sure ( may even be solid maple) -- need pic of back of the guitar. Assemble it and play it would be my suggestion....easy as pie and you really only need a few parts. You could get it up and running pretty darn cheaply and upgrade the stuff later if you like it.

• Members

wow.
that's quite a story behind it.
you should definitely get it up and running and not half-ass it either.
looks like really nice wood and good build quality.

both the neck and body do look like maple.
is the body chambered? the holes for the controls make it look hollow.

• Members

you can see form the pickup hole that its a solid piece as the flame is still notisable therem unless its a really think mapple top.

i would suggest finishing it, put a tele bridge pup in there and basically you got a your self a really bright cutting guitar, then you can mount it on the wall if you wish. but at least get it playable.

• Members

My personal opinion is that guitars should be played. Hanging it on the wall won't make it any less depressing. Why not turn it into something you can rock out on and make some new memories with? If it turns out that you still can't get good vibes from the guitar, maybe someone else can figure it out. It looks like it could be turned into one hell of a guitar.

• Members
Might as well get it playable.

Is it maple capped,or is it solid?

Lets see the control cavity.
:freak:

Sorry, I should of thought of that while I was taking the pictures. :freak:

2nhkm07.jpg

Looks like solid maple to me, but I'm no wood expert. I know what they sound like, not look like. :o

• Members
you can see form the pickup hole that its a solid piece as the flame is still notisable therem unless its a really think mapple top.

i would suggest finishing it, put a tele bridge pup in there and basically you got a your self a really bright cutting guitar, then you can mount it on the wall if you wish. but at least get it playable.

Yeah...

Well either way, if I get it playable, then I'm going to PLAY the {censored} out of it. :D I would only mount it on the wall if it's at the point where I shouldn't put the effort into it. (Which it apparently isn't, so I'm sure I'll be playing it. ;) )

• Members
{censored},All the hard work is done already.

Being not a huge fan of the Tele bridge pick up alone,I'd try a Vintage Vibe P-90 in single coil size in there.

With three control holes routed,he must have planned on more pickups to go in.

Well I already have a tele, and maple is indeed bright as hell, so I think I would put a P90 in there if I could. Part of me wonders if I should stick to the single coil design just to be 'true' to it, but then again perhaps not.

I was thinking that he was going to do a S/S/S design, just considering the control holes, most likely. But who knows, my aunt certainly doesn't. :freak:

• Members

that looks like an incredible piece of wood...

i would finish it, if it were mine it would have 2 p90s, screwed straight into the wood... is the wood finished?

It is rather nice, the pictures don't do it justice IMO.

The wood has a very, very light type of gloss coating on it, but it's totally a base coating -- Not a finish laquer. So for the most part it's unfinished.

• Members

Man. I wouldn't play a guitar that reminds you of your uncle's heroin addiction and subsequent death, but I've never been in THAT scenario.

LOL. Well you don't ~have~ to look at the negative side of things all the time, y'know, but I hear ya'.

• Members
wow.

that's quite a story behind it.

you should definitely get it up and running and not half-ass it either.

looks like really nice wood and good build quality.

both the neck and body do look like maple.

is the body chambered? the holes for the controls make it look hollow.

Yeah, think I'mma try getting it running now. :D

Check out the new picture, it's a regular ol' solidbody.

The neck seems like it would be incredibly comfortable to play.

• Members

i think it would be a positive thing to finish the guitar myself, and it looks like it'll be a great plank....

now, nickel hardware, cream covered p90s, wraparound bridge, 2 volumes and a tone, no switch, it'll rock...

Archived