Distortion Pedals

evil_muffin

• Members

you dont need a high gain amp either, lotta great metal (i.e. Slayer) done with (boosted) jcm800s, which are medium gain at best. rushtallicas suggestions of the Peavey Ultra & Carvin X100b (or any of the x-series) are more (great) mid-gain amps that with a simple boost of almost any sorts (read: $14 used TS-5 and the like) can deliver much metal. the X amps also offers lotsa flexibility with dual EQs.

which PV did kim thayill use? was it the Ultra, or VTM?

• Members
you dont need a high gain amp either, lotta great metal (i.e. Slayer) done with (boosted) jcm800s, which are medium gain at best. rushtallicas suggestions of the Peavey Ultra & Carvin X100b (or any of the x-series) are more (great) mid-gain amps that with a simple boost of almost any sorts (read: $14 used TS-5 and the like) can deliver much metal. the X amps also offers lotsa flexibility with dual EQs.

which PV did kim thayill use? was it the Ultra, or VTM?

I heard it was either the VTM or one of the Triumph series; I'm thinking it was the VTM. :D:cool:

• Members

its got a preamp valve...does that not count for anything?

im tempted to sell the krank and get a slash wah and just go through my amps distortion...after all it is pretty sweet...it just lacks a bit of gain

If you like your amps sound and just need more gain then get an overdrive pedal and set the level high the gain low and boost your amp into more drive.

Archived