Distortion Pedals

evil_muffin

• Members

Unfortunatly, a preamp valve has negligeable impact on getting a 'good' distortion from an amp.

All in all, what you really need is a good tube amp. Perhaps a Marshall or Peavey 5150.

Setting your mind on this can save you $$$ because you won't be searching for pedals to get a sound you'll never be happy with until you get a good tube amp.

Best of Luck!

• Members

anyone know any good ones?

ive got a krank distortus maximus and i dont like it

its got its own tone

but unbeleivably not enough tone

i prefer the Boss MT-2

and i think im gonna get one

I'm one of the few that like the MT-2.

I use a Robert Keeley (Twilight Zone) version in front of a small, clean tube amp into a 4x12 cabinet. It doesn't work well with my Rectifier head or any distorted preamp that I have used in the past.

If you like the MT-2, but don

• Members

I was under the impression that a lot of pro metal guitarists use solid state, precisely because it sounds nastier. I mean, when I think metal, I don't think "tone for days" or whatever. I think nasty harshness.

Most of what I've seen where solid state effects in front of tube amps. I knew of no guitarists that perfered solid state over tubed amps. Bass players, but not guitarists. I'm old school, so things may have changed from my time.

Back when I gigged you had two choices a Marshall stack or a Mesa one.

• Members

Amps & Effects

Marshall Valvestate 8260

Line 6 Spider 2 30 Watt

Krank Distortus Maximus

To get awesome metal tone, there is nothing like the chug from a closed back, 4x12 cabinet no matter what the (tube) amp wattage or brand. You already have very good guitars with 100% metal worthy pickups :thu: ; I

• Members

your amp is the problem. 99% of the time solidstate amps sound horrible with distortion pedals. you should go talk to the amp forum, theyll inform you what youre missing not playing a $5k bogner.
:)

Or at least might recommend boosting the amp instead of using a pedal full of bees, but whatever works for you is more important than what other people think, IMO. Plus, you've got to admit, some people pay more money for a single pedal than a lot of people do for amps. :D

I mainly post in the amp forum, and my amps = cheap Peavey Ultra Plus, Carvin X100B, and possibly will be keeping a Laney Pro Tube Lead 100 AOR I just gave $399 for at a Guitar Center used but could've probably found one on ebay for a hundred less. Boosted, the gains on the cheap amps I mentioned sound very good, IMO.

Anway, I've owned or at least played extensively over the years two Zoom Driver 5000 pedals that I bought off fellow hcfx forumites (the Driver sound good, IMO, but are still way too compressed-sounding), Tri Metal, MT2, GT2 (which sounds much better than the MT2, IMO, though the lead notes on it sound lame), Line 6 Uber Metal (another one that I'd recommend over the MT2, though it can't do leads well, either, IMO), and a host of old DOD pedals, i.e. Death Metal, American Metal, etc., MXR Distortion +, etc., etc., etc... The closest I've come to getting a really good distortion out of a pedal that was also amp-like was with the Zoom Driver 5000 in some setups and the GT2, though the Line 6 sounded really good for really heavy stuff only, IMO.

[edited due to related spam someone's posting]

• Members

Most of what I've seen where solid state effects in front of tube amps. I knew of no guitarists that perfered solid state over tubed amps. Bass players, but not guitarists. I'm old school, so things may have changed from my time.

Back when I gigged you had two choices a Marshall stack or a Mesa one.

Must be just my misconception

Archived