Recommend a Treble Booster

vigor&kandor

• Members

bsm is soo overpriced it hurts

it's the same guts you'll find in 100dollar pedals just with a bigger markup

and for 300 dollars I at least expect a real paint job

The BSM ain't cheap but it doesn't mean you can't find em used. I saw a BSM RM Metal sell on ebay recently for 114 bucks. I've got three BSM's and they're all keepers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130066747791&rd=1&rd=1

And if you think the BSM's come in a plain wrapper, you should see a PA Top Boost!

• Members
I want to try a Treble booster. For some reason i don't feel like building one, so i am wondering if anyone could recommend a Rangemaster clone of some sort. I prefer germanium, and if it has the OC44 that would rock.

You ought to at least consider the Ranger from this place:

http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html

I have an older version and it's amazing.

Ranger.jpg

• Members
You ought to at least consider the Ranger from this place:

http://www.phoenixcustomelectronics.com/pix.html

I have an older version and it's amazing.

Ranger.jpg

What guitar and amp are you using it with? How does it fare for rhythm work? I'm looking for some raw krrang out of the humbuckers in my guitar. Its too muddy for anything really, but I usually run them out of phase with the onboard treble booster on for a strat-ish tone. Wondering if I could tighten up the buckers.

I'm interested with the new version especially with the extra cut control. Anyone knows if it has the switch for treble-mid-bass? I can't tell from the pict and the description on the site is very vague.

• Members

What guitar and amp are you using it with? How does it fare for rhythm work? I'm looking for some raw krrang out of the humbuckers in my guitar. Its too muddy for anything really, but I usually run them out of phase with the onboard treble booster on for a strat-ish tone. Wondering if I could tighten up the buckers.

I'm interested with the new version especially with the extra cut control. Anyone knows if it has the switch for treble-mid-bass? I can't tell from the pict and the description on the site is very vague.

I use Telecasters, mainly a thinline Telecaster with a TV Jones TV'Tron (filter'tron) in the bridge and a strat pickup in the neck position. It's a pretty bright sounding guitar. I use a Marshall JTM-312 and an Epiphone Valve Jr. depending on the situation. I usually use the Ranger in full range boost mode, the one I have goes from treble boost to in between to full range boost. Whatever the pedal goes into it adds a little bit of midrange honk (good) and a little growl (very good). Rhythm and lead both benefit, but I especially like how it kind of makes the sound a little muddy and very compressed for leads in full range mode. In treble boost mode the muddiness isn't there.

Alex at PCE is very receptive to a customer's individual needs, when I ordered my Ranger about 3 years ago he even built it so I could use it with a Boss style adapter. He had to get a transistor to work in that way for me. I suspect if you asked for a switch rather than the cut knob he'd build it.

• Members

I've always built mine so I don't have any manufacturer suggestions, but I just want to ad that the OC 44, though it is the vintage-correct tranny, is not exactly the best fit for the treble booster. I've gone through several, and I find that some generic versions (NKT?) actually sounds better than the 3 OC 44's I've tried. If you're going for a treble booster, specially one that advertises OC 44's,you might want to try it first with your rig, or at least buy from a merchant with a return policy. I think the OC 44's sound wander too much, and some dump too much noise for what it's worth, which is why Analogman has to charge so much for a simple pedal -- screening the good components from the bad ones take too much damn time.

c

• Members

I've always built mine so I don't have any manufacturer suggestions, but I just want to ad that the OC 44, though it is the vintage-correct tranny, is not exactly the best fit for the treble booster. I've gone through several, and I find that some generic versions (NKT?) actually sounds better than the 3 OC 44's I've tried. If you're going for a treble booster, specially one that advertises OC 44's,you might want to try it first with your rig, or at least buy from a merchant with a return policy. I think the OC 44's sound wander too much, and some dump too much noise for what it's worth, which is why Analogman has to charge so much for a simple pedal -- screening the good components from the bad ones take too much damn time.

c

I agree. Mine's got some other kind...a CV7003 I think.

• Members

I'm actually not a fan of my rangemaster (byoc with the cv7003) it makes the amp really honky, and its a very messy sound

that's with a classic 50, AA864 bassman a marshall jmp and an orange ad30

it's useless, but I keep around for recording

I want to try a Treble booster. For some reason i don't feel like building one, so i am wondering if anyone could recommend a Rangemaster clone of some sort. I prefer germanium, and if it has the OC44 that would rock.

HBE Germania 44 sounds like a perfect match for you.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

I have a standard Germania and I love it. :thu:

• Members
HBE Germania 44 sounds like a perfect match for you.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

I have a standard Germania and I love it.
:thu:

have you ever compared the two? There is a Germania in th spam thread that i am tempted by, but i have heard great things about the OC44. The one man up there ^ said that the OC44 have a tendency to not sound as good.
I would like you opinion on the subject.

• Members

Well, Retroman makes the Beano which simulates the Dallas Rangemaster. The Beano uses a germanium transistor.

For those historically challenged. The word Beano is from a comic that Clapton is reading on the old cover of the John Mayall record on which Clapton is playing (does that make sense?)

The Beano works for me. The best combination I have to make it roar is my Epiphone Sheraton (don't laugh, it's older than most of you here) with Wagner Fillmore pickups, into the Beano, into a Tubeworks Blue Tube rackmount (set to half-dirt) into a Marshall Artist 4203.

Also, I should buy a Spice and insert it somewhere...

• Members

I'd go for the Gerrmania in the spam thread, unless you feel like building one yourself.

Unlike, say, overdrives, Rangemaster-based treble boosters have more in common than not. Yes, there are differences, but evaluating them is kinda like taste-testing mineral waters. Subtle differences.

And as has been mentioned already, the OC44's a bigger deal in theory than in practice.

• Members

Thats to everyone for the information. i will probably buy the Germania. If that one is still in the spam thread when i get my money than i will buy the regular.

There is ALOT of good information up there ^

The Germania is still available. PM me if you're interested.

And I agree, lots of good info in this tread. Thanks all!

Archived