Recommend a Treble Booster

vigor&kandor

• Members

Content_images_19.gif

http://www.kadeneffects.com/chirper.htm

i recently got the Chirper from utterhack and it found its way quite quickly onto my board. i didn't think i'd get that much into a treblebooster since they're mostly known for delivering those "screaming lead" tones, which i don't use. but it's perfect for my hybrid style, where i play a simple 2-3 note chord in the bass and a lead line in the upper register. the Chirper really lets the higher notes scream out. that type of phrase can easily get muddy with amp dirt or zome fuzzes, etc. the newer Chirpers also have a 3-way switch for full, mid, and treble boost. all 3 settings can be rolled off nicely with your guitar's vol knob.

highly recommended! :thu:

• Members
Content_images_19.gif

i recently got the Chirper from utterhack and it found its way quite quickly onto my board. i didn't think i'd get that much into a treblebooster since they're mostly known for delivering those "screaming lead" tones, which i don't use. but it's perfect for my hybrid style, where i play a simple 2-3 note chord in the bass and a lead line in the upper register. the Chirper really lets the higher notes scream out. that type of phrase can easily get muddy with amp dirt or zome fuzzes, etc. the newer Chirpers also have a 3-way switch for full, mid, and treble boost. all 3 settings can be rolled off nicely with your guitar's vol knob. highly recommended!
:thu:

that one looks cool. I also saw the Throbak stage booster.

How does it sound with your neck pickup? i have seem treble boosters make neck pickups sound less muddy, and very narly!

• Members
that one looks cool. I also saw the Throbak stage booster.

How does it sound with your neck pickup? i have seem treble boosters make neck pickups sound less muddy, and very narly!

oh, it's good times with the neck pup!
i use low-output strat pups so they never really get muddy anyhow. but with the Chirper, you can get that nice mellow tone from your neck pup but with more clarity like with the bridge pup. nudge up the gain and you get some really nasty niceness! :thu:

and the 3rd position is so fat. with the gain up going into a driven amp it's like a hybrid overdrive/Big Muff!!! :eek:

• Members

I want to try a Treble booster. For some reason i don't feel like building one, so i am wondering if anyone could recommend a Rangemaster clone of some sort. I prefer germanium, and if it has the OC44 that would rock.

What type of guitar are you using? Single coils and hums react differently to specific treble boosters. If you're using a strat you may want a booster with a full range switch like the Throbak, Kaden or an MJM. The single coils work best with the darker setting. A BSM HS sounds great with a strat also. I have a Proanalog Top Boost with the OC44 and a Toneman Rangemaster that I use with hums. Scotty doesn't make the TB anymore so if you ever come across one, jump on it!

• Members

Can an EQ pedal do the same thing as a treble booster? I've never used either, so I don't know? It seems like they would do the same thing.

Two different animals. The treble booster adds a bit of OD also.

The Germania is awesome. Not as much output as an MJM, Proanalog or a BSM but very sweet sounding.

• Members

What type of guitar are you using? Single coils and hums react differently to specific treble boosters. If you're using a strat you may want a booster with a full range switch like the Throbak, Kaden or an MJM. The single coils work best with the darker setting. A BSM HS sounds great with a strat also. I have a Proanalog Top Boost with the OC44 and a Toneman Rangemaster that I use with hums. Scotty doesn't make the TB anymore so if you ever come across one, jump on it!

My strat has singles, but my Tele has a hummer in the neck. i was planning on using it with my tele's neck pickup.

who is if your avatar?

• Members

Can an EQ pedal do the same thing as a treble booster? I've never used either, so I don't know? It seems like they would do the same thing.

it doesn't just boost treble like an EQ, although there are some treble boosters that are made to do this (Vox etc.).

the Rangemaster and its kin add gain + compression to the treble. with the gain comes some grit which can be somewhat fuzz like.

• Members

My strat has singles, but my Tele has a hummer in the neck. i was planning on using it with my tele's neck pickup.

who is if your avatar?

That's just some pron chick.

The Germania would sound amazing with your Tele neck pu. But don't skip over the Kaden, BSM, MJM or an Analogman Beano. An AM Beano just sold on TGP. The Proanalog TB would rock your world and D*A*M makes a killer one called a Red Rooster. I have about nine tb's and I found out that they all vary in characteristics because of manufacturer and tranny used. It's all good bro.

Check these out:

http://www.treblebooster.net/

• Members
Content_images_19.gif

i recently got the Chirper from utterhack and it found its way quite quickly onto my board. i didn't think i'd get that much into a treblebooster since they're mostly known for delivering those "screaming lead" tones, which i don't use. but it's perfect for my hybrid style, where i play a simple 2-3 note chord in the bass and a lead line in the upper register. the Chirper really lets the higher notes scream out. that type of phrase can easily get muddy with amp dirt or zome fuzzes, etc. the newer Chirpers also have a 3-way switch for full, mid, and treble boost. all 3 settings can be rolled off nicely with your guitar's vol knob.

highly recommended!
:thu:

Yes, the Kaden rocks!

• Members

it doesn't just boost treble like an EQ, although there are some treble boosters that are made to do this (Vox etc.).

the Rangemaster and its kin add gain + compression to the treble. with the gain comes some grit which can be somewhat fuzz like.

Thanks for the clarification!

Archived