What's the best way to put your drummer on a click?

krazeexharhar

• Members

After playing a few shows with him, it's becoming VERY apparent that he needs to be put on one. He changes tempo everytime there is a change in the song.

However, I don't want to hurt his pride by saying it or anything. Our singer however, brought it up, saying after reviewing the videotapes and from feedback from numerous people that he is too irregular and it's really taking away from the band.

In any case, I figure if we buy it for him it will work out better instead of sending him out to buy it himself. What's the most effective way to do this, both the people interaction and the actual buying part? (what equipment do we need?)

• Members

After playing a few shows with him, it's becoming VERY apparent that he needs to be put on one. He changes tempo everytime there is a change in the song.

However, I don't want to hurt his pride by saying it or anything. Our singer however, brought it up, saying after reviewing the videotapes and from feedback from numerous people that he is too irregular and it's really taking away from the band.

In any case, I figure if we buy it for him it will work out better instead of sending him out to buy it himself. What's the most effective way to do this, both the people interaction and the actual buying part? (what equipment do we need?)

I'm close to this issue.

My band had a drummer who could not stay in tempo, and we just told him to try a metronome. He understood, and tried it, but it didn't work for him.

We ended up letting him go, but bear in mind that the tempo wasn't his only issue, so I'm not saying that is the solution for you.

Our current drummer is very capable, but when we started rehearsing for a studio recording we agreed to practice with a metronome, it worked out after a few tries, but we didn't like the end result. It sounded too lifeless...

At the end, we all agreed that there were some tempo issues (after reviewing some live tapes), and I think the practice with the metronome helped to make us a lot more aware of the fluctuations we were going through in our songs, and now we just play without it, but we are very conscious about keeping the tempo.

I can live with subtle tempo variations, especially when they complement changes in dynamics in the song, I just think it just gives it a more natural feel. As long as these variations are not blatantly heard, it's all good with me.

Also, you should bear in mind that sometimes the fluctuations in tempo are not the sole responsibility of the drummer, they happen mostly because all the members of the band are paying a lot more attention to their own instrument than to the sound of the band as a whole, so before blaming him 100% for this, also maybe take a look at the rest of the band.

• Members

If he can sit near the mixer, get him:

a metronome with a few different ping sounds that works best for your type of music - the metronome needs to have a 1/8" or 1/4" input and pass through or send.

a set of isolation headphones that can play sound.

a long extension for them.

and finally - patience. he's going to have a {censored}load of trouble playing to a click for a long time. he should probably play to the click by himself before practice starts for half an hour.

actually, this is going to mess with EVERYONE'S playing for a while, since he's going to have to play to the click, and you guys will have to play to HIM.

tell him, first of all, to play softer as he gets used to the click. if he tries to hit at the velocity he's used to, he'll just end up clenching up and rushing fills just as before.

you guys also have work to do, because you'll need to figure out the BPM you're playing at for every song. he has to write all of that down and then play the set by himself without anyone else to the BPM.

you're in for a long wait, friend.

• Members

I believe I have the solution.

Claim the click is for you and other band members. This will hopefully raise your drummer's confidence.

Along with keeping the rest of you in time (not saying you need it) if he's anything of a drummer he will adhere to the click naturally.

Hope this works! (no idea if it will)

• Members

and finally - patience. he's going to have a {censored}load of trouble playing to a click for a long time. he should probably play to the click by himself before practice starts for half an hour.

actually, this is going to mess with EVERYONE'S playing for a while, since he's going to have to play to the click, and you guys will have to play to HIM.

Very true.

If you're going through fluctuations now, once you set the BPM you're going to have to compromise certain parts of the songs, because at a consistent tempo, some sections will sound slower than normal (or current), and others will sound faster than normal (current).

We decided to match the tempo from the beginning of the song, but you can do otherwise.

• Members

Also, you should bear in mind that sometimes the fluctuations in tempo are not the sole responsibility of the drummer, they happen mostly because all the members of the band are paying a lot more attention to their own instrument than to the sound of the band as a whole, so before blaming him 100% for this, also maybe take a look at the rest of the band.

That's actually very true and gives me an idea for tonight's practice. Instead of putting timekeeping on his shoulders, I think I will try doing it and tell the bassist to not follow the drummer, but rather, force the drummer to follow us. That way we take an active part of keeping the tempo steady. We have a show tomorrow and we've played three fluctuating shows already :/, it's kind of {censored}ty when you really don't know what to do.

• Members

I believe I have the solution.

Claim the click is for you and other band members. This will hopefully raise your drummer's confidence.

Along with keeping the rest of you in time (not saying you need it) if he's anything of a drummer he will adhere to the click naturally.

Hope this works! (no idea if it will)

I think that's a great idea, right there. I might even put it to use (eventually) with my band. We're not taking ourselves too seriously for the moment, so there's really not hurry. However, it is quite true that the band as a whole is probably part of the tempo fluctuations, although the drummer should have the responsibility of "dictating" the bpm. Sometimes, as a band, we're all over the place, but I think it's more because no one really pays enough attention to who should be setting the pace in the first place.

Archived