What vox pedal did hendrix use...

!i!i!i!i!i!

• Members

As far as I know, Hendrix used Crybaby (they weren't a dunlop product then...) and Vox wahs fairly interchangeably. Of the current VOX line, I think the Clyde McCoy model (V848) is closest to 60s specs, and has the Fasel inductor that's meant to contribute a lot to the "authentic" 60s wah sound.

Either way, look around to see what the going rate is for those pedals and yours used- I think you might be getting the worse end of the deal...

Here's the VOX website.

• Members

He used Voxs more than Crybabys. He used a stock script Cylde McCoy on '' Voodoo Child(slight return) off Electric Ladyland. on Up From the Skies he used a modded V846 tweaked by Roger Mayer. the Band of Gypsies show was a stock V846.

Yeah, Roger Mayer is the other "wild card" with Hendrix- hearsay and speculation and really, really over-enthusiastic corksniffing fans aside, nobody but Roger (if he can remember) knows exactly what he did to Jimi's pedals and guitars, so the "right" equipment may not get you all the way to Jimi's sound. Everybody knows that tone is in the fingers anyway :D

• Members

Some guy wants to trade me his vox wah for my dimebag wah. he says its the same wah that hendrix used but i was always under the impression that he used dunlops. if he did use a vox, could somebody tell me which one?

He is most closely associated with the Vox V846 wah. The modern Dunlop-built Vox V847 is based on the circuit, but lacks a lot of the cheap Italian components that really gave the old Vox's their tone, "tropical fish" caps, halo or fasel inductor (don't know which), etc.

The Crybaby was also an Italian-built Vox as the time, but a Thomas Organ Vox pedal (Thomas Organ owned the Vox license in the US at the time).

• Members

I read in the SRV biography that Jimi Hendrix played a show with Jimmy Vaughan's Thunderbirds opening up, and he loved the sound of Vaughn's Vox wah. he traded his crybaby + 40 dollars for the vox.

its true, it was backstage at a show in Dallas/Ft Worth. except Jimi traded a new Vox not a crybaby. Jimmie then gave it Stevie

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

He used Voxs more than Crybabys. He used a stock script Cylde McCoy on '' Voodoo Child(slight return) off Electric Ladyland. on Up From the Skies he used a modded V846 tweaked by Roger Mayer. the Band of Gypsies show was a stock V846.

was the v-846 wah he used, did it have a "stack of dimes" indicator, or a red square indicator on the old california made wahs?

• Members

Yes, a LOT more.......mainly because there WERE NO CRYBABY Wah's when he was playing guitar. (sheesh)

Archived