My Big Muff seems quiet. Please help.

joncyberboy

• Members

I'm using a Les Paul ----> Big Muff (reissue NYC) -----> Danelectro Daddy-o------> Ampeg VT22.

When i turn on the big muff the volume is quieter. It is not just a 'lost in the mix thing' it is 20% quieter than the clean signal.

Is this normal. I have only ever used it whislt recording before so have never paid attention to how loud it is when compared to the clean signal.

• Moderators

I always saw it more as a lost in the mix problem...

I tried the BMP multiple times with a live band but it always seemed to get lost when the whole band played, and seemed lower in volume when it was not.

regards, Jack

• Members

while I don't care for the NYC reissue muff, mine has no volume drop. Although I bought it when they first reissued it, and it does not have the nice new blue 3PDT with true bypass. Many Elect. Harm. pedals have a volume drop when converted to true bypass. The shops I'm friendly with around my parts are quite used to replacing EH pedals. All new EH I have bought have never had a problem, (knock on wood looking laminate) but talking to dealers EH has a rate of about one dud for every 15 pedals made. Take it back to who you bought it from, contrary to Elect. Harm. service in the past, these last few years their customer service is top notch. EH still has one dweeb who might pass the buck, or I've gotten the "Thats what it was designed to do". Unfortunately this lazed person seems to be on the front line of customer service, but after two or three e-mails you will be e-mailing Mr. Mike Mathews himself! Mike even offered me a job! Too bad I hate commuting and any rent within subway travel is too expensive for the wage offered. If I could stop spending money on gear and luxuriant loafing, I could do it if I got a small apartment in the Bronx or Queens (no offense to Guya, ZJD, Dicktron, elect. mist., and helpI'm arock!), my noise level would not go over well with neighbors that only have two pieces of sheet rock separating them from my rock!

NYC is great, but the suburbs are where its aaaat! Oh yeah, exchange that big muff, unless the dano pedals' buffer is the problem. Try guitar, cable, bigmuff, cable, amp and see if it works the same.

• Members

Yeah, the NYC reissue Big Muffs are known for their volume drop. Mine does the same, pretty annoying.

But I got myself a Mayo and never looked back.
:wave:

They are? Mine was LOUD; much louder than my black Russian BMP. My Skreddy is louder than either, though.

• Members

I can only speak for my LBM, but unity is around 12 o clock.

"20% quieter" made me chuckle. Does that mean that 5 of the same pedal would give you silence?

Actually, it would be 32.768% of the original signal, as 20% of the already 20%-depreciated signal is less than etc :)

• Members

Actually, it would be 32.768% of the original signal, as 20% of the already 20%-depreciated signal is less than etc
:)

haha, yes 20% was an approximation. A 'singificant amount without being obviously faulty' might have been better. So basically i have a lemon? It has a volume drop and i'm stuck with it?

Bugger. I love the tone!

Archived