A Serious Question For All Builders....

• Members

Hey people.

For once a serious post.

I have a "situation" I am attempting to resolve amicably with "someone" who has shipped/attempted to ship me a brand new pedal.

Here is my question.

When you send out your pedals to the client, do you insure it for what the customer paid for it OR your cost to make it?

At present I have a "lost" package due to a slack postman(go figure!) and I am being told, at best, I MAY receive the value the package was insured for. Less than half the pedals worth.

The "party line is" Well, I am not sure if the postman did or didn't deliver this, so......I am not building 2 pedals for the price of one for ANYONE. I also only insured it for "x" and I didn't do signature delivery confirmation because it is BS.

I am not asking for my money back, just asking the "person" where to next?

This is ongoing so, no name calling, no screaming.....I am very curious to know what all the other builders do OR think of this?

Thanks for your time!

:wave: :wave:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think insurance is the SENDER'S responsibility. Not the buyers. When I send something like $5K of pedals to Italy I insure it for their cost, covers them and covers me. I don't charge buyers extra though.

That is what I figured.....It seems the way EVERYONE else does this. I am guessing the person cheaped out on me?

I will keep my mind open for now BUT I am not super impressed AND if thisperson doesn't sort this, I will out him for the "safety" of everyone else.

I feel this is BOGUS!

Thanks Nick(sp?).

Glad you are enjoying Bruno's old Sound City. Cool amp huh?

• Members
but all you're asking for is 1 pedal for the price of one.

:freak:

Pretty unreasonable of me I know.

He is claiming the post office say it isn't lost as the postal carrier says it was authorised to be left on the back doorstep....A blatant lie.

On calling the post office, the head person said EVEN if it were so, it is the responsibility of the carrier to get a signature therefore, it is technically lost as far as the Post Office are concerned.

The builder is stating otherwise.

This assumes some ass clown doesn't magically produce it within 30 days I believe. It is possible it may turn up. Been 2 weeks now.

Sort of depressing as far as "faith" goes BUT, not the end of the world.

I am just curious as far as the builders are concerned.

• Members

I always insure for the full amount, and if not shipped UPS, always do signature confirmation on USPS.

it's a small price to pay for piece of mind (DUMB i know...) but for pedal building, if you're only making a few bucks here and there might as well cover your ass-ets.

One would think so.

Thanks for your input.

• Members

That is what I figured.....It seems the way EVERYONE else does this. I am guessing the person cheaped out on me?

I will keep my mind open for now BUT I am not super impressed AND if thisperson doesn't sort this, I will out him for the "safety" of everyone else.

I feel this is BOGUS!

Thanks Nick(sp?).

Do you know this Sound City personally?

• Members

I feel this is BOGUS!

Thanks Nick(sp?).

My understanding is that it is the shippers pedal up and until you take delivery. With that in mind the shipper should be the one concerned with insurance. If He under insured it or didn't insure it at all, then that is a risk he took and it backfired. Now I don't insure every pedal I ship, but I am playing the odds that the delivery will go smooth. So far it always has. If one day It goes south for whatever reason, then I lost that bet.

• Members

My understanding is that it is the shippers pedal up and until you take delivery. With that in mind the shipper should be the one concerned with insurance. If He under insured it or didn't insure it at all, then that is a risk he took and it backfired. Now I don't insure every pedal I ship, but I am playing the odds that the delivery will go smooth. So far it always has. If one day It goes south for whatever reason, then I lost that bet.

backed.

if you paid via paypal, just threaten to reverse the payment. his lost pedal, his problemo.

• Members

Thanks.

Again, I don't think this is done yet I am just surprised by the stance being assumed by said builder.

All I am asking for is my pedal that I have paid for. Be it the original OR a replacement.

Thanks for your input.

• Members
backed.

if you paid via paypal, just threaten to reverse the payment. his lost pedal, his problemo.

BRILLIANT!

I forgot all about that. I did indeed pay for it that way.

I ma hoping it will not come to this.

I am not asking him for money, nor jumping up and down saying "I am not waiting 30 days to see if it shows up!"

Thanks for that.....I completely forgot.

I was warned about this when I first started using the internet to purchase pedals.

Again, it is not the money issue, more the "business practice."

We shall see where this goes.

Like I said, IF it gets silly, I will make it public to make sure ANYONE buying from said company INSISTS upon certain shipping criteria!

:idea: :idea: :idea:

• Members
i would agree with the general sentiment... at this stage HE lost a pedal that HE under-insured.. (apologies if the builder is a girl!)

He isn't.

I would have said so otherwise.

Glad to see I am not being unreasonable in my thought process thus far....

:thu:

• Members

BRILLIANT!

I forgot all about that. I did indeed pay for it that way.

I ma hoping it will not come to this.

Just keep in mind that PayPal has a time limit on filing disputes. I think it's 45 days, i.e., you have to open the dispute within 45 days of payment. Once that deadline passes, you can't do jack {censored}. The good news is, I've had similar things happen and PayPal has always sided with the buyer, as it's the seller's responsibility to make sure the package gets to you.

• Members

The contract with the shipping company is between them and the sender (the seller). It is not the recipient's responsibility to ensure that the package arrives safely; it is the shipper's.

Should an item arrive damaged, the recipient should keep all original packaging for insurance documentation purposes. That is the only responsibility of the recipient.

It is not the recipient's job to initiate inquiries about lost packages with the shipper. Items are not sent at the recipient's risk, but at the seller's risk. Whether or not the seller purchased insurance on the package, it is they who are responsible to supply you with the goods you paid for.

• Members

Just keep in mind that PayPal has a time limit on filing disputes. I think it's 45 days, i.e., you have to open the dispute within 45 days of payment. Once that deadline passes, you can't do jack {censored}. The good news is, I've had similar things happen and PayPal has always sided with the buyer, as it's the sellers responsibility to make sure the package gets to you.

Thanks.....

This much I am privvy to BUT I thank you for the info.

I will give said person til the end of the week to play nice OR I will put my hobnails on.

Many thanks.

• Members
I always assumed that if I buy a product from a dealer that it would be shipped insured but maybe I shouldn't assume that.

It was insured, just $200 less than the price and then another $40 less than tax and shipping.

Good huh?

:( :(

• Members
name and shame!

come on, bring it...

*too lazy to find the popcorn smiley, but imagine i used it here*

:D :D :D

I will out this person IF they continue to maintain this "party policy."

ONLY because I want to warn people for future dealings.

Either way, I will get my money back BUT, I ordered something because I wanted it. The money is spent and "gone!"

GIVE ME MY TOY DAMNIT!

:love: :love: :love:

Archived