So I got the Rocktron Chorus and Flangers...my thoughts...

Wilbo26

• Members

ebaylotgv6.jpg

The whole lot was $80. I figured what the hell. Thanks to Waveman for pointing it out. :wave: My impressions:

Tsunami: Not bad. I probably wouldn't pay for its new price, but used its a nice chorus. I wish I had a CE-2 or something like that to compare it to, but next to the Polychorus it could do some of the Small Clonish sounds fairly well, maybe a little crazier. It is somewhat versatile, and I liked that it had an "Ambiance" mode that was basically a very short doubling delay, a nice extra. :thu: Overall I would give it a 'meh' though. I don't think I've spent enough time with it to really call it either way, but my initial impression is 'meh.'

Hypnotic Flange: I was hoping this thing was going to blow me away...it didn't. Despite its many knobs, it really wasn't that versatile. My SF10 blew it out of the water in ever way, as did the flange on the Polychorus. In fact as I've typed this I went back and played it twice more to give it another chance, but it didn't deliver. Absolutely NO airplane sounds out of this, and it doesn't do any crazy out of control sounds either. Its more subtle settings sounded nice, but there are just so many better options for the money that can do the same thing and a lot more.

The DOD comp, although sweetness looking, is broken. No matter how I set it the volume starts really low and then slowly swells up. This actually might end up being a good thing, but unfortunately I can't actually review what its supposed to sound like. Anyone know about these? It certainly looks vintage, but I don't know if any of the RI's were in this orange color also.

Dano Chili Dog Octave: Funny enough the best pedal of the lot. Also might be a bit goofy because the octave effects kinda bleep and blurp on the lower frets...but up high it is wicked. As somebody here pointed up throw it in front of an octave fuzz and there is great fun to be had. :thu: If anyone else has this thing, did you experience oddities when playing lower notes???

That's all I got right now. :wave:

• Members

Too bad about the compressor, but at least you'll be able to break even. Thanks for the review
:)

Oh I'll do more than break even. I should be able to sell each of the Rocktron's for 50-60 locally no problem, so at the worst I'll make 20 bucks. :thu:

I'm gonna open up the DOD and take a look, but like I said its malfunction could be entertaining...I'm not much of a compressor user anyways.

• Members

It is disappointing to read that yet another forumite has been underwhelmed by the Rocktron Hypnotic Flange.
:(

Do you have one, or just sad that it isn't coming through? I had never even heard of it until I bought this one. Looks pretty cool, I was expecting it to be a crazy and good time, but yeah it just doesn't do all that much.

• Members

I own the DOD compressor. Stock it's kind of crap. I mean the tonality is nice, but it has some slow pumping going on. Look in the DIY forum for a thread on the DOD 280. A fellow forumite figured out a mod that makes it compress more evenly.

It's still a bit noisier than I'd like, though. I'm probably going to get a new comp in the near future.

• Members

I own the DOD compressor. Stock it's kind of crap. I mean the tonality is nice, but it has some slow pumping going on. Look in the DIY forum for a thread on the DOD 280. A fellow forumite figured out a mod that makes it compress more evenly.

It's still a bit noisier than I'd like, though. I'm probably going to get a new comp in the near future.

Thanks! I'll check it out. Still...this thing is REALLY pumpy...straight up volume swells no matter how its set. It also seemed to have an almost autofilter thing going on sometimes. :freak:

Do you know offhand what year one like that is from?

• Members

+1

I was thinking of giving one a go but Thanks Wilbo, I think any money spent on flanging is better spent elsewhere, plus I don't need another flanger . . .
:wave:

Yeah...I mean if I had to I would have no problem gigging with it and it would sound fine, but its just nothing special. I'm actually kinda relieved because now I can flip it guilt free. :D

• Members
Do you have one, or just sad that it isn't coming through? I had never even heard of it until I bought this one. Looks pretty cool, I was expecting it to be a crazy and good time, but yeah it just doesn't do all that much.

I've never actually used one, but was taken by its packaging ... which, apparently, houses a turd. :freak:

• Members

I've never actually used one, but was taken by its packaging ... which, apparently, houses a turd.
:freak:

This blurb from one of the sites selling it is probably the issue:

The ultra-cool "hypnotic mode" actually becomes a random low frequency oscillator! This random mode dances anywhere from an arpeggio sound to a randomized chorus sound.Trust us, you have never heard a flanger quite like the Hypnotic. We surprised even ourselves with this stomp box!

Err...no guys. It just doesn't. It sounds like your average digital flanger.

• Members

Is it similar to the Digitech XTF Turbo Flange?

Never tried it. Oddly enough it, and the chorus on the Tsunami reminded me of the Fulltone Choralflange...but its been a few years since I used that thing so don't quote me on that. The flanger on my Vox DA5 practice amp gets crazier than this thing...if that tells you anything.

• Members
Thanks! I'll check it out. Still...this thing is REALLY pumpy...straight up volume swells no matter how its set. It also seemed to have an almost autofilter thing going on sometimes.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like something you want to fix...

• Members
Thanks! I'll check it out. Still...this thing is REALLY pumpy...straight up volume swells no matter how its set. It also seemed to have an almost autofilter thing going on sometimes.

Hmm, that's weird. I'm not sure what year. I remember reading it somewhere... maybe the 80's? I think there was an original run in the 80s and then a reissue in the 90s, but I'm not positive.

• Members

Hmm, that's weird. I'm not sure what year. I remember reading it somewhere... maybe the 80's? I think there was an original run in the 80s and then a reissue in the 90s, but I'm not positive.

OH well. Not that it matters. I found your thread in D.I.Y. so I'll upload a few pics of the guts over there and see if there's something obvious.

Archived