I need an OD

The_Spice

• Members

I never thought this day would come, I have been more than happy just messing around with fuzz pedals since I started getting into pedals a couple of years ago, but the other day they just started to annoy me. I couldn't find a pleasant low-medium gain setting to play through that I liked... especially with chords. So I am guessing an OD pedal would help me... right?

I want something that will give me a nice crunch without scooping out the mids or otherwise messing with the tone, just a nice break up that interacts well with my guitar's volume knob. Having more gain on tap for some more aggressive tones would be nice, because I love gain as long as I can avoid that nu-metal sound.

Some pedals I am thinking about right now are the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine, MI Audio Crunchbox and Black Cat OD-1. Recommend anything that comes to mind though, the only limit I have is price (less than $200).

I currently play with a standard tele and an Ibanez Talman (3 lipstick tubes) through a Fender Musicmaster amp.

sub-question: should I skip the OD pedals and just save to buy a nicer amp? This amp has been awesome after I dropped a Weber speaker in it, but its natural break up is kind of gross... which isn't that much of a surprise, the main reason I bought it was because it was the cheapest 1x12 combo tube amp I could find at the time.

• Members

I dont know that amp... Most of the time for better tone, its better to just save up for another amp...but like i said i have no knowledge of that amp.

For an OD you can go with a Tubescreamer or SD-1 for a very cheap, but somewhat noisy option. Try them out, see what you like.

Archived