Anyone else see the new boss "fender in a box" pedals

Brian Marshall

I saw them too Brian... and honestly, while they had the basic sound of the amps that they are emulating, I found the tone to be rather "two dimensional"; the usual complaint I sometimes hear from others regarding modeling stuff... and I'm not one of those totally "anti-modelling" guys. They didn't sound bad, but as soon as the guy kicked over to the real Deluxe, my buddy and I (another degreed audio engineer who is quite active in the industry in various ways) both looked at each other and simultaneously said nearly the same thing to each other - "I definitely like the amp better".

I guess it depends on your expectations and needs. Again, I didn't think they sounded bad, but even though they were level mismatched (the pedal / JC120 was a good 3 dB louder, and the pedal was set for slight grit, while the amp was set a bit cleaner), I just liked the amp a significant amount more than the sound of the pedal.

Just my 2 cents. :wave:

• Members

I saw them too Brian... and honestly, while they had the basic sound of the amps that they are emulating, I found the tone to be rather "two dimensional"; the usual complaint I sometimes hear from others regarding modeling stuff... and I'm not one of those totally "anti-modelling" guys. They didn't sound bad, but as soon as the guy kicked over to the real Deluxe, my buddy and I (another degreed audio engineer who is quite active in the industry in various ways) both looked at each other and simultaneously said nearly the same thing to each other - "I definitely like the amp better".

I guess it depends on your expectations and needs. Again, I didn't think they sounded bad, but even though they were level mismatched (the pedal / JC120 was a good 3 dB louder, and the pedal was set for slight grit, while the amp was set a bit cleaner), I just liked the amp a significant amount more than the sound of the pedal.

Just my 2 cents.
:wave:

It's always about expectations... I expected nothing from those Cubes due to my Line6 experiences and was pleasently surprised. I nearly bought one on the spot. The packaging is the cool part that will no doubt move them off of the shelves. Depending on the price point this is probably going to be one of Boss's most impressive releases (to me anyway) as the DD5 was. I should put a disclaimer in here. I was excited about the Hendrix Digitech thing too until I tried it. :(

Archived