Question for the fuzz buffs.

mike.sartori

• Members

All of the above for me.

My favorite fuzzes are those that can achieve a really long sustaining rhythm sound with powerful low end if you have your guitar volume all the way up, and then clean up a bit when you roll your volume knob back. With this you can easily choose between a more percussive rhythm effect ala Hendrix and a boomy, smooth rhythm effect kind of like you hear Eric Johnson use.

Good Silicon Fuzz Faces & clones do both of these things very well. Germanium types, however, can get almost perfectly clean with just a bit of gritty compression.

you can hear clips of a bunch of different fuzzes here: http://fuzz.inrerocknroll.com/clips.html

• Members

PnP fuzzes are positive ground

NpN is brighter, has more bite and the fuzz characteristics are tighter in my opinion. Think Hendrix

PnP are darker, better suited for classic tones, can clean uo real well, the soudnseems looser and a bit more lofi thatn NpN. Think Page

• Members

I have my amp set to slight dirt then I have 2 different OD's and 1 fuzz to choose from. Its basically dependent on the song. I'm using it more and more now in our band. If the song screams out to me "this needs FUZZ" then I use it. Sometimes during only the verse, sometimes just the solo, sometimes the whole song.

Archived