How good can your tone get?

RoboPimp

• Members

ive reached that point about 6 months ago....im not changing anything drastically at all. Ive got the main amps, guitars and pedals i use....i only buy things to compliment my main gear and because its fun to buy new gear.

Since i stopped changing pedals on my board every week ive had more time to learn how to master the pedals more....its really been good for my so called "tone".

• Members

I don't think it's that simple - your ear changes, new/different tones inspire you, etc. It's not a static thing - at least in my case anyway. I'm as happy as I've ever been with my tone right now, but there's always going to be something else out there that I'm gonna want to try...

• Members

I don't think it's that simple - your ear changes, new/different tones inspire you, etc. It's not a static thing - at least in my case anyway. I'm as happy as I've ever been with my tone right now, but there's always going to be something else out there that I'm gonna want to try...

yeah of course u always wanna try something else.....who doesnt ?

• Members

I played and gigged with pretty much the same rig for over a decade, from '90 to '01.

I made a decision to explore some other styles and played and gigged through a load of changes from mid '01 to late '02. then my basic tones didn't change much till mid '06.

Last year I bought a new small amp, due to space limitiations and decided to make a few stylistic changes. The tones fell into place in a few weeks and that is tha for probably a few years.

I'll still tweak and try some some stuff for the fun of it, but I'm not really trying to imrpove on what I currently have.

• Members

I agree completely. Sometimes I'll listen to an old/new record and think, wow, I'd like to get sounds like that. Next thing you know you're checking out a new pedal, or tweaking an existing pedal in search of the tone you heard.

I would say that I'm 90% setttled with my stuff and, as Olle said, I know it much better for being settled with it.

• Members

I agree completely. Sometimes I'll listen to an old/new record and think, wow, I'd like to get sounds like that. Next thing you know you're checking out a new pedal, or tweaking an existing pedal in search of the tone you heard.

I would say that I'm 90% setttled with my stuff and, as Olle said, I know it much better for being settled with it.

Right.

I've finally settled into a solid base for myself tonewise with a few essential pieces - it's the 'icing on the cake' stuff that is in flux. Lately though, even that stuff has been pretty consistent for me.

• Members

I don't think it's that simple - your ear changes, new/different tones inspire you, etc. It's not a static thing - at least in my case anyway.

Exactly.

Still, putting it down and doing other stuff can be a purposeful choice.

• Members

I once played through an amp that sounded perfect for me. Plugged straight in. Both clean and overdrive channels were absolutely dead on perfect for what I wanted to sound like. The amp is expensive as hell, and I am doing my best to save up for it.

• Members

I think my basic EQ has changed very little in the last few years, but the textures I throw in there keep changing. Overall, I think once you get a "perfect" tone you get desensitized to it after a while and jsut have to try something else.

Archived