From 11's to 9's

KjStrat62

• Members

I just switched from 9's to 11-54s on my Strat and, after being horrified at how high the action has to be to stop buzzing (I pick somewhat aggressively when accenting notes) and realizing that full setup was in order, I eventually decided they're awesome. The sound is thicker and more defined, and I feel like I'm really earning every note. It helps my playing dynamics considerably.

• Members

The sound is thicker and more defined, and I feel like I'm really earning every note. It helps my playing dynamics considerably.

That's exactly what going to .11s did for me. I didn't think it would make such a huge difference. I feel like I'm really playing every note. I doubt I'll ever go back to .10s. I still have them on my Tele (backup), though. I have to admit, it is kind of nice to not have it fight back so much when I go to it.

• Members
That's exactly what going to .11s did for me. I didn't think it would make such a huge difference. I feel like I'm really
playing
every note. I doubt I'll ever go back to .10s. I still have them on my Tele (backup), though. I have to admit, it is kind of nice to not have it fight back so much when I go to it.

I may eventually go for some skinny top/heavy bottom style strings, primarily to cut down on the inductance on the G (seriously, this thing is huge, I've seen smaller wound strings :p). I hate setting my guitar up every time I change strings, though, so if I can get away with not having to do it I might. Floating a vintage-style Strat bridge is nearly as bad as a Floyd for getting relative tuning equilibrium, especially when you swap out the bridge saddles AND the nut while moving to a higher gauge stringset!

I thought this would make quick alternate picking runs more difficult given the increased resistance to picking, but it hasn't - it's actually made it easier, and I can't adequately explain why. Just hand mojo, or whatever you want to call it. I use a 3mm Big Stubby pick, and always have (though I sometimes drop down to a 1mm brass pick or a .75mm aluminum one). However, I've noticed that Picks-By-The-Pound brand "Tour-Pix" in 1.10mm feel really good with this setup, too, and they're just low-cost no-names. I'm still looking for the perfect pick, but all told the Big Stubby remains my favorite because it just feels right in my hand regardless of string gauge.

• Members

I may eventually go for some skinny top/heavy bottom style strings, primarily to cut down on the inductance on the G (seriously, this thing is huge, I've seen smaller wound strings
:p
). I hate setting my guitar up every time I change strings, though, so if I can get away with not having to do it I might. Floating a vintage-style Strat bridge is nearly as bad as a Floyd for getting relative tuning equilibrium, especially when you swap out the bridge saddles AND the nut while moving to a higher gauge stringset!

I thought this would make quick alternate picking runs more difficult given the increased resistance to picking, but it hasn't - it's actually made it easier, and I can't adequately explain why. Just hand mojo, or whatever you want to call it. I use a 3mm Big Stubby pick, and always have (though I sometimes drop down to a 1mm brass pick or a .75mm aluminum one). However, I've noticed that Picks-By-The-Pound brand "Tour-Pix" in 1.10mm feel really good with this setup, too, and they're just low-cost no-names. I'm still looking for the perfect pick, but all told the Big Stubby remains my favorite because it just feels right in my hand regardless of string gauge.

I've found that it has slowed me down a little bit, but not in a bad way. I can still play what I need to. I can force the rest. :D

For picks I use Dunlop Nylons.. .88s. They're the perfect pick for me. They stay in my hand, and they don't wear out easily. :thu:

• Members

after using 10s and 11s i went down to 8s. it wasn't bad. bending was fun. and it didn't make much noise with low action. i really like thin ead strings and thick gbe strings. good tone, easy bending.

tried flatwounds too.

sounded like a bass tuned too high.

• Members

I've been everywhere, man, I've been everywhere.
From 9s to 13s on Fender Teles and strats,
to hybrid sets on LP necks that feel like baseball bats.
The plains are too heavy, the wounds are too light
Hybrids are close but D and A are too tight
but my custom set is only 3 bucks apiece from Juststrings.com if you order 12
and it feels {censored}in right.

I have no idea why I'm writing lame poetry, but I feel pretty good about my recent change and I just had too much coffee to still be in my pajamas.

Anyway, if you're like me and you have been bouncing around between gauges for years, of if you're dissatisfied at all with what you use, ESPECIALLY if you like bending the unwound strings and pounding the wound strings, try these:

Bending one step on each of these strings feels EXACTLY the same, and the low E and A strings don't buzz even with low action. I've got them on a long scale and a short scale guitar, and they are equally adept at both. I am able to have the 6th string 3/32" above the 12th fret, and the first string 1/16" above the 12th fret, with no buzzing unless I dig in DEEP with my pick.

Notice that the 1st string is from a 9 set, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are from a 10 set, the 5th is from an 11 set, and the 6th is from a 12 set.

This is the best feeling and sounding set I've ever used. I want to spread the gospel, so I'll be glad to send out a set for anyone who's interested (I just bought 12 sets - that's the only way to get them cheap) for $4 shipped. I'm not trying to make money, I just think this is awesome and I want people to try it out.

Ian

Archived