Question about the Boss DD-6

Geno_xl

• Members

I was reading some reviews about the DD-6 and found some people complaining about some loss of tone. Anyone else notice this, it's hard to tell at Guitar center on a crappy practice amp with a kid next to you trying to play Iron man for the first time in his life.:rolleyes:

thanks

• Members

it's at the end of my chain, and no i don't notice much degradation when on or off.. it's probably there, but in a band setting i can't say there's much colouration...

if you're going for a boss digital delay, why not have a look at the dd-20? not much more monies but packed with more features. try it out.

• Members

I suspect if you truly really scrutinized them, you would find ever such a slight loss of tone with all Boss pedals and with most other pedals, because they are not true bypass. But the loss of tone on 99% of them is so small that it's hard to even notice. As for your audience noticing it - not a chance. Just ignore the few who worship true bypass and claim to be able to hear something that others can't. I find most of the time it's an ego thing - these people like to pretend the're somehow more advanced on the whole subject than everyone else...

• Members

I used one for years and never had any major issues with tone suckage.

However...I would suggest checking out the Digitech Digidelay as a cheaper but equal, if not better alternative. :thu: Its tape and mod delay modes are much more useful than the warp mode available on the DD-6. It can give you clear digital delays like the DD-6 but also has some lo-fi analog type sounds available that the DD-6 can only get if you have it modded.

• Members

Just ignore the few who worship true bypass and claim to be able to hear something that others can't. I find most of the time it's an ego thing - these people like to pretend the're somehow more advanced on the whole subject than everyone else...

You sound angry. No one in here has even mentioned true bypass.

• Members
if you're going for a boss digital delay, why not have a look at the dd-20? not much more monies but packed with more features. try it out.

Actually, that is why I'm asking. I'm really leaning towards the dd-20 but I was just checking into some of the reviews I had read. I'm not sure that I really "need" the DD-20 but it looks extremely fun.

Wilbo...I have seen you mention the Digidelay about 10 times now on seperate occassions. I'm begining to think that either it is completely awesome or you work for digitech. :) I haven't played it but I only have 2 problems with the digitech and they are kinda stupid.

1. It looks like the old DOD pedals-and I was burned about 3 times by that junk.

2. the actual type of delay isn't listed on the pedal (I don't think) so I'd have to memorize which delay is which. If it is on the pedal it's in a strange place. I can't remember.

anyways I know they're stupid reasons but that's just me.

• Members

I suspect if you truly really scrutinized them, you would find ever such a slight loss of tone with all Boss pedals and with most other pedals, because they are not true bypass. But the loss of tone on 99% of them is so small that it's hard to even notice. As for your audience noticing it - not a chance. Just ignore the few who worship true bypass and claim to be able to hear something that others can't. I find most of the time it's an ego thing - these people like to pretend the're somehow more advanced on the whole subject than everyone else...

yeah, I don't think I can tell the difference between true bypass or not but some effects do color the tone which makes me very upset.

• Members
Actually, that is why I'm asking. I'm really leaning towards the dd-20 but I was just checking into some of the reviews I had read. I'm not sure that I really "need" the DD-20 but it looks extremely fun.

Wilbo...I have seen you mention the Digidelay about 10 times now on seperate occassions. I'm begining to think that either it is completely awesome or you work for digitech.
:)
I haven't played it but I only have 2 problems with the digitech and they are kinda stupid.

1. It looks like the old DOD pedals-and I was burned about 3 times by that junk.

2. the actual type of delay isn't listed on the pedal (I don't think) so I'd have to memorize which delay is which. If it is on the pedal it's in a strange place. I can't remember.

The DigiDelay is pretty awesome. I use one too :thu:

It's set up kind of like the Boss DD pedals - there's 4 knobs:

Level - Repeats - Time - Mode

Level, repeats, and time are obvious, and there's a chart that shows what the Mode knob does - right there on the pedal.

All the modes have tap tempo - you just hold down the pedal until the LED blinks, and then tap your tempo. Hold the pedal again to disengage.

Mode 7 is a loop - just hold down to record, and it plays as soon as you let go of the pedal.

I suggest you get one - the tape sim is excellent :thu:

• Members

Wilbo...I have seen you mention the Digidelay about 10 times now on seperate occassions. I'm begining to think that either it is completely awesome or you work for digitech.
I haven't played it but I only have 2 problems with the digitech and they are kinda stupid.

Haha...no...I just A/B'd one that a fellow bandmate had with my DD-6 and it made me even more pissed that I had spent my money on the DD-6. The main reason I was pissed about buying the DD-6 is that the DD-20 is not much more for 10x the delay pedal. And its looper function is actually serviceable, wheras the DD-6 only has 5.2 seconds of delay, which is enough for it to be a tease but not actually very useful as a real looper.

The Digitech does have the modes listed on it...look underneath below the knobs:

digidelaygp0.jpg

As to its durability, I have never heard any complaints about it being a turd and its construction was solid. I always suggest it because if you want a compact digital delay with a good variety of features, the Digitech is cheaper than the DD-6 but has more desirable features in my opinion, and the DD-20 has the most features and is overall the best. The DD-6 just seems to be an expensive middle ground that isn't worth the pricetag.

• Members

The Digitech does have the modes listed on it...look underneath below the knobs:

digidelaygp0.jpg

ooops, your right well I guess it's between the DD-20 and the Digitech then. I didn't get to try the Digitech because for some reason guitar center doesn't even put them out on the shelf...weird... I know they sell them.

• Members

I have a DD6 and it works fine for me, but if I had been better informed when I bought it I would have gone for the DD20. Even if you don't think you will use the extra features, it is WAY more accessable than the DD6 (one of my friends has a DD20 that I have given the run around). A lot of the extras in the DD6, like looping and tap tempo are a pain in the ass to access "tap pedal on, hold for two seconds, tap four times to set tempo, hold for five seconds release and tap to turn off" just to set a tap tempo... it is a pain in the ass.

And, as the others have mentioned the DD20 is only a little bit more (they are going for $179 new right now aren't they?).

As far as cheaper digital delays go, another one to look into is the Ibanez DE7.

• Members

And, as the others have mentioned the DD20 is only a little bit more (they are going for $179 new right now aren't they?).

The guy at guitar center advised me to wait until the president day sale. He didn't know what would be on the list but said if it wasn't then he might cut me a deal...This has never happened before. I guess it pays to spend all your time (and money) there.

• Members

The guy at guitar center advised me to wait until the president day sale. He didn't know what would be on the list but said if it wasn't then he might cut me a deal...This has never happened before. I guess it pays to spend all your time (and money) there.

Or just keep an eye out for a used one if that's an option for you. Boss pedals are about as safe a bet as you can get when buying used. Otherwise yeah the big sale days there would be your best bet at getting the lowest price if you're going to buy in person.

• Members

Yeah, if they have any employees that are a little slow you can get just about anything you want. I am a terrible negotiator and last year on Memorial Day I got a new DL4 for $170 just standing there saying "I don't know... I think I will just get on ebay" after his first few offers.

• Members

+1

I just sold my Digidelay, and I think it's Wilbo's love that fueld the GAS for it.

I should probably give him a comission.

c

Archived