are ebows actually useful/any fun?

JoshuaLogan

• Members

always was interested in trying out an ebow for ambient/spacey stuff, but never had the chance. I can pick one up now for cheap. should I give it a shot, or is it really not worth bothering with? how many of you guys have one? it seems like it could get some interesting sounds in combination with phasers/delays/trems/etc, but I don't know...

• Members

A few weeks ago, our singer wasn't at the practice and we had an evening of jam between the four of us (two guitars, bass and drums). I whipped out the eBow during one of the jam and freaked out the other guitarist. I love doing that!

One of my favorite technique with the thing is to press down on the eBow until it touches to string it's supposed to vibrate. I then use it as a slide. It's wicked...

• Members

I don't know, but my friend was showing me his direct recording rig, and there was one recording he had done with real droney guitars and I was all "Is that ebow?" and he looked at me as if I was stupid, and was all, "No, it's just post effects. Look." And pulled up the VST plugin. :freak:

My ebow was ebayed. :cry:

Stupid computers have me questioning whether or not I need my feedback loop or not anymore. :confused:

Of course I could always sell the computer and buy more gear. :idea:

• Members

always was interested in trying out an ebow for ambient/spacey stuff, but never had the chance. I can pick one up now for cheap. should I give it a shot, or is it really not worth bothering with? how many of you guys have one? it seems like it could get some interesting sounds in combination with phasers/delays/trems/etc, but I don't know...

I have one and it's a great unit. I like to use with a slide bar. I don't use it in my band, but I do like to play around with it. If you can get one for cheap go ahead and buy it! :thu:

• Members

I think they're more fun than a barrel of rabid monkeys. They can get kind of boring and one-dimensional when used on their own; but if you have a good arsenal of pedals, they're pretty diverse. Also, good Ebow technique takes a bit of work, and it's always fun to try to master a new technique.

• Members

listen to the first track "and the waves" the parts that make you go "wow! whats that?" thats an ebow

• Members

I think in context, they can be invaluable. Creating textures, harmonizing with cello, layering drones, and overdubbing. I think its like any tool, you need to practice with it, and learn how to capture the nuances of it. There are lots of great sounds you can get out of it, especially combined with pedals.

We have 3 guitarists in our band, so it give lots of openings to try out new things, and experiment with the ebow for parts. Huge inspirational tool for me. :thu:

Archived