Anyone here who actually prefers Digital over Analog?

angelhair0

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I prefer my digital POG over those old analog...ummm... POGs.

Analog octave down or up units don't track anywhere near as well as digital.

Oh, and to get the POG to sound warmer and better, put it in a TB looper with an EQ pedal with cut mids.

• Members
...the warmness of analog is something I've learned to prefer over the years. My dad is a tech nerd, and is a sound engineer doing modern music kinds of bands. So, I grew up thinking Digital was good and Analog was old, outdated, and bad. Not anymore, not after comparing...

What exactly are you talking about? :confused:
And what did you compare?
I

• Members

I like Analog for dirt and most modulation. I've never heard digital dirt that I truly liked.

I like some of the distorted sounds I have created with the MagicStomp.

Some very nice digital dirt is available in the Marshall JMP-1. Yes, it has tubes, but as far as I remember the overdrives were generated digitally. Prior to having this unit I hated digital distortion. I have not heard one in years, though. Maybe I would not like it today, but I don

• Members

Well, comparing a few digital chorus pedals against some analog chorus pedals. With digital, I feel like as I'm messing with knobs, I almost have my sound going where I want it. And right when I think I have it nailed, it sounds too metalic, too "digital." With analog, no matter where the settings are, it sounds good to me.

My favorite chorus is the EBS Red Twister which is analog.

But I

• Members

Digital delays. I like tape echo sims, and an analog delay doesn't come close to it, but I can't afford or want the hassle of a real tape one, so I'l prefer digital.

Digital editing of my recordings? Of course. Though I am just getting into analog recordings.

As far as something like modulation, it depends. My magic stomp can do some great modulation. Other things it can do are alright. Though for the effects I really use, I'd prefer a single stomp box.

Reverb. Both can sound good. I'm a little more partial to amp verb, but I don't use it too much and don't currently own an amp that has it.

As far as something like fuzz is concerned, this is an analog only territory for me. Most digital sounds like absolute dog {censored}.

• Members

Just wonderin.

Depends on the application. In my rig, W/D/W, I use BOTH digital and analog sound processing. Analog pedals ALL go in front of the amps and Digital stuff is mostly run parallel through the wet only (Exception is the Eventide H8000FW; it's routed for Both series AND parallel AND if front as well as through the wet part of the rig.

Analog stuff are: Overdrives (Marshall Blues Breaker 2/ Ibanes TS7), Phase Shifter (MXR EVH90), Flanger (MXR original), Compressor (MXR Dyna Comp), Boost (Electro Harmonix LPB2), Cry Baby Wah, Boss FV500 Volume Pedals,

Digital stuff: TC Electronic 2290, TC Electronic 1210, Eventide H8000FW, Lexicon PCM80

• Members

I'm a delay and reverb jumkie and I definitely prefer digital reverbs. the RV-5 is gorgeous. I love it.

I have 3 analog and 3 digital delays (moog MF-104, MF-104SD, Maxon AD80, Boss RV-3, Boss DD-6, Trex Replica) and they're used and blended.

it takes great pains to line up the time settings on my moog delays with the DD-6 to where there's just the right amount of clarity from the digital and enough of the analog warmth from the moog...

can someone just make this in a pedal? can you have an analog and digital delay in one box that have their times synched, and just give me a MIX knob? how awesome would that be?

a.

• Members
In a way, or to an extent, I agree with you. However, no matter what you do, there is an audible difference between analog and digital. Analog modeling by a digital unit, that may be a different story.

And what is that difference? :confused:
How do I recognize whether a sound came from an analog or a digital unit?

• Members
And what is that difference?
:confused:
How do I recognize whether a sound came from an analog or a digital unit?

From an amp modeler point of referrence; the amp modelers 'model' the tone of the given amps they are trying to emmulate by recreating the tone of the amp (mic'd). In other words: If you took a Marshall and mic'd it and then listened back to the mic'd tone from the studio control room, it (The modeler)would sound pretty close (Assuming it was dialed in right). The feel is where things change IMO, when you're standing right there.

The guys that I consider tone heros, use both analog and digital equipment specifically wired with certain things in series before the amp/amps input, certain things in parallel through the wet (FX) cabs some in series and others in parallel.

Archived