Fender Pro Junior vs. Blues Junior

trlkvsky

• Members

I've heard a lot of good things about the Pro Jr and was very psyched to buy one a few weeks ago. I drove 3 hours round trip to check out a used one someone was selling and I was astounded by how noisy it was. Even with nothing plugged in it had the loudest hum I've ever heard from an amp. I tried the "remove the middle screw" trick I've read about, but no difference. As a comparison, I went to a music store and tried a brand new one. Not as much hum as the other one, but a huge amount of white noise hiss. It seems like a lot of people talk about how great they are for recording, but I don't understand how they deal with the noise. Can changing the tubes really make a difference? Tonewise, it seems like a great amp - not as full sounding as the Blues Jr I used to have, but a more focused tone. But I wonder how Fender (who I'm a big fan of) can put out an amp that has so much noise. I wanted a smaller tube amp than my Mesa Boogie for recording, but I don't think the Pro Jr is going to be the one (I'm currently checking out a Silver Face Champ instead).

• Members

I've heard a lot of good things about the Pro Jr and was very psyched to buy one a few weeks ago. I drove 3 hours round trip to check out a used one someone was selling and I was astounded by how noisy it was. Even with nothing plugged in it had the loudest hum I've ever heard from an amp. I tried the "remove the middle screw" trick I've read about, but no difference. As a comparison, I went to a music store and tried a brand new one. Not as much hum as the other one, but a huge amount of white noise hiss. It seems like a lot of people talk about how great they are for recording, but I don't understand how they deal with the noise. Can changing the tubes really make a difference? Tonewise, it seems like a great amp - not as full sounding as the Blues Jr I used to have, but a more focused tone. But I wonder how Fender (who I'm a big fan of) can put out an amp that has so much noise. I wanted a smaller tube amp than my Mesa Boogie for recording, but I don't think the Pro Jr is going to be the one (I'm currently checking out a Silver Face Champ instead).

Crazy hum like that is always tricky. For one thing it could have been they outlet it was plugged into at the guy's home. Bad wiring can make any amp a noisy beast.

Mine Blues Jr. will hum if I'm sitting right in front of it, but otherwise it hasn't been an issue for me, although I'm sure it could be better.

I have no clue about the white noise issue. I've never had a problem with that...but maybe I'm just not picky??? :confused:

Also, some of them might be poorly built or something. Fender isn't exactly known for stellar quality control these days.

And a SF Champ is a great little amp, and with current prices for the Pro/Blues possibly a better buy if its in great condition. It also uses completely different tubes and is a lower wattage amp. I wouldn't mind having both around. :thu:

• Members

the older ones including the tweed MIA had alnico speakers and did sound a little better.

mine is a black MIM with a ceramic speaker and sounds pretty fine but it is somewhat noisey and has little to no headroom. but what do you want for a $200-300 tube amp.

You can get more headroom easily with different tubes :thu:

• 6 months later...
  • Members

i have an early 90s Tweed Pro Jr. USA made. Red Eminence speaker.

all i can say, and every guitar geek thats heard this thing in a live situation says the same thing..."magical"

i've played others in the store and they're really good, but i got lucky on this one. it's a one off for sure. i'll be buying another in the near future :thu:

• Members

i think the blues junior is a better amp overall, but the pro junior is probably better for home practice. i played one the other day, and it found that it has distorts at a lower volume than my blues jr. it also seems useless if the tone is less than half.

blues junior is good for gigging, pro jr is not.

• Members

i think the blues junior is a better amp overall, but the pro junior is probably better for home practice. i played one the other day, and it found that it has distorts at a lower volume than my blues jr. it also seems useless if the tone is less than half.

blues junior is good for gigging, pro jr is not.

I gig with my Pro Jr ALL THE TIME. Everything from small coffeehouses, to bar gigs, to outdoor festivals, to the Cains Ballroom in Tulsa.

The amp goes to 12, doesn't distort until about 8, and is so loud I've never gotten to play it live past about 5.

Again, mine's probably the exception to the rule, but I doubt it's the ONLY exception. I'd recommend anyone to buy one, just play as many as you can and find the right 'one' for you.

• Members

I gig with my Pro Jr ALL THE TIME. Everything from small coffeehouses, to bar gigs, to outdoor festivals, to the Cains Ballroom in Tulsa.

The amp goes to 12, doesn't distort until about 8, and is so loud I've never gotten to play it live past about 5.

Again, mine's probably the exception to the rule, but I doubt it's the ONLY exception. I'd recommend anyone to buy one, just play as many as you can and find the right 'one' for you.

if you can't use it past 5, what's the point? it's an overly expensive amp with two knobs and you can even utilize it's natural tube distortion.

• Members

The point is, is sounds AMAZING. Even @ 2. It's light and portable. And while the natural distortion isn't there at the lower volumes, the warmth and tone are.

I've always relied on pedals for distortion anyways as I can have many different variations of that type of tone easily adjustable and changeable at my feet.

• Members

Same here...I gigged with mine for years, too. Got a good overdrive happening running it around 5 or 6...I've noticed the pickups in the guitar have a lot to do with how early they'll distort. My Gibsons drive it pretty early on, whereas the tele stays clean a little longer.

But what do we know? This guy did play one the other day, after all.:D

• Members

Same here...I gigged with mine for years, too. Got a good overdrive happening running it around 5 or 6...I've noticed the pickups in the guitar have a lot to do with how early they'll distort. My Gibsons drive it pretty early on, whereas the tele stays clean a little longer.

But what do we know? This guy did play one the other day, after all.
:D

HAHA~ yea. exactly. what do we know?

Archived