Fender Pro Junior vs. Blues Junior

trlkvsky

• Members

10" speaker fits the amp better, especially when cranked and overdriven. The reverb on the Blues Junior is pretty lame so don't buy it for that. The Blues Junior is a bit more flexible, but if I had it all to do over again I would have gone with the Pro.

• Members

i have a pro junior ordered and paid for...should arrive within a week.... mainly want it for recording

i tried the blues junior a while ago... liked it... didn't love it though.. bought a classic 30 instead

Just curious, why do you need a Pro jr. if you have a Classic 30? Is the 30 too loud, or the Pro jr. that great an amp?

• Members

I have played alittle bit of the Pro, and alot more of the Blues. The blues jr is hooked up the my store's 'Wall-o-BOSS' pedal board. It is a sweet little amp. It gets decently loud and the fat switch sounds good.

I want a Pro Jr for it's simplicity, and it's tone. Plus Nels Cline Records w/ one :D

• Members

Just curious, why do you need a Pro jr. if you have a Classic 30? Is the 30 too loud, or the Pro jr. that great an amp?

i've had a few issues with my classic 30.. rattles etc... don't get me wrong.. i love the amp... and will eventually get it all sorted... but i'm writing and recording NOW... plus i think it's good to have a backup amp.. and choices for recording... i think the pro junior is a great little no-nonsense amp

• Members

I've played both head to head, the Pro Jr overdrives easier, but it's much less tweakable, and the Blues Jr sounds generally better to me, bit fat clean tone.

My impression as well. The variety of sounds seems greater in the BJ, and I like the reverb.

• Members

I've played both head to head, the Pro Jr overdrives easier, but it's much less tweakable, and the Blues Jr sounds generally better to me, bit fat clean tone.

Yes agreed. I think the Blues Junior is 80 times better. H A. Blues Junior seemed to have more bass, as well as a smoother tone. I guess the PJ does more of the cranked champ rock thing, where the BJ can do a smooth blues/fusion type tone or a great clean, or rock out pretty well when you crank and still have room for a pedal to take it up a notch. Why don't I own one of these? Who has tried some mods for these?

• Members

I haven't tried the Blues Junior but....

I've been using a Pro Junior for about 4 years now for small gigs. Such a great sounding amp considering it only has a tone and volume (less is more I suppose). It reacts really well to effect pedals, easy to lug and its a great recording amp...and its a loud 15watts!!

...Best thing to do is to try both of them out yourself

• Members

Yes agreed. I think the Blues Junior is 80 times better. H A. Blues Junior seemed to have more bass, as well as a smoother tone. I guess the PJ does more of the cranked champ rock thing, where the BJ can do a smooth blues/fusion type tone or a great clean, or rock out pretty well when you crank and still have room for a pedal to take it up a notch. Why don't I own one of these? Who has tried some mods for these?

I would agree with this for the most part. But I think the Blues Jr. can get a bit flubby in the low end when you really start cranking it up, although with a different speaker, or especially with an external cab, that isn't a problem.

It does have awesome clean tones and medium volume, and it takes pedals so well that its perfect for recording because it can go a long way with the right pedals. Its major weak spot is the reverb. If you could get a larger tank put in it I think that help a lot. As is, I don't even bother with it. I believe some of the Bill M. mods help improve it, especially on the older pre-2001 models before the revision.

• Members

Its major weak spot is the reverb. If you could get a larger tank put in it I think that help a lot. As is, I don't even bother with it. I believe some of the Bill M. mods help improve it, especially on the older pre-2001 models before the revision.

Would using a reverb pedal in front of the amp yield decent/better results?

• Members

Would using a reverb pedal in front of the amp yield decent/better results?

I think so. The newer version has the updated reverb circuit that is supposed to be better, I haven't heard that much of it so I can't really comment too much on it. It would probably fine for very subtle reverb, but if you're looking for huge surf style reverb you'll probably want a pedal.

• Members

are you serious? is the tweed actually a different circuit?

The earlier Tweed ones were all MIA...thus they have some essential "goodness." IMO, its just a FenderForum perpetuation so those geezers can maintain higher ebay prices for their gear sales :bor::o

• Members

The earlier Tweed ones were all MIA...thus they have some essential "goodness." IMO, its just a FenderForum perpetuation so those geezers can maintain higher ebay prices for their gear sales
:bor::o

Come on. Everybody knows that the sound of tweed is superior to the sound of any other tolex - even that fancy cowboy stuff.

• Members

is superior to the sound of any other tolex - even that fancy cowboy stuff.

Truth. Totally brings out the haunting mids compared to tolex. Although you really need to use a vintage lacquer on it to really bring out the tooooone for daaaays. :thu:

• Members

Truth. Totally brings out the haunting mids compared to tolex. Although you really need to use a vintage lacquer on it to really bring out the tooooone for daaaays.
:thu:

vintage lacquer - what is this and what does it do for tone?

BTW - great thread...

Archived