Ampeg Love

doomy3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sweeeeet

:thu::thu:

They have more headroom and tighter breakup than the 6V6's.

I'm not one for modding old amps, but I've heard Reverberockets with modern speakers and other tweaks and they were monstrous. Big-ass sounds!

But I'm happy with my all vintage (even down to the tubes) '66 Rvbrkt.

sorry, got no pics

• Members

The only thing I've ever considered doing to mine was swapping the original CTS for something like a Jensen C-12-R, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. The CTS is pretty good - strong clear lows, nice top end - no complaints really...

I'm still running the original tubes in mine - it came with Sylvania 7591As and Telefunken ECC83s. All still test strong - they don't make 'em like they used to!

• Members

The only thing I've ever considered doing to mine was swapping the original CTS for something like a Jensen C-12-R, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet. The CTS is pretty good - strong clear lows, nice top end - no complaints really...

I'm still running the original tubes in mine - it came with Sylvania 7591As and Telefunken ECC83s. All still test strong - they don't make 'em like they used to!

Word to the mutha'.

:cool:

• Members

My main amp is my 1967 (based on ser #) Gemini I. I had her gone through a couple years ago, but it's getting to be that time again.

From info I've found the 12" Gemini is 20 watts, not quite as loud as a DRRI but just gorgeous clean tone from those 7591's!

Nice amps all around!:thu:

• Members

My main amp is my 1967 (based on ser #) Gemini I. I had her gone through a couple years ago, but it's getting to be that time again.

From info I've found the 12" Gemini is 20 watts, not quite as loud as a DRRI but just gorgeous clean tone from those 7591's!

Nice amps all around!
:thu:

Yeah - Gemini I is around 20 watts like the Reverberocket 2, the Gemini II and IV are closer to 30 watts.

Cool - is yours one of the transitional models with a Blue Check style cab, but smooth black tolex?

What if any dirt boxes do you 7591 owners run with your amp? I have yet to find an OD that I like with my RR...

• Members

Yeah - Gemini I is around 20 watts like the Reverberocket 2, the Gemini II and IV are closer to 30 watts.

Cool - is yours one of the transitional models with a Blue Check style cab, but smooth black tolex?

What if any dirt boxes do you 7591 owners run with your amp? I have yet to find an OD that I like with my RR...

The Menatone Workingman's Blue pairs up pretty well with my Gemini I.

It's got a wide and complex tone, not too much unlike the Gemini (or Reverberocket) when turned up.

• Members

Here's a pic of mine:

DSCN1472.jpg

Nice :thu: Mine is very similar. The main differences are that mine has a band of silver trim around the grill cloth, and it has 6 knobs. Doesn't yours have reverb? You should see that tanks they used---mine's mounted vertically and must be 18 inches long---spppprorororororornnnnnnnggggg! Have you ever thought it was a little bright for some pedals? My doesn't sound very good with my OCD.

• Members

Nice
Mine is very similar. The main differences are that mine has a band of silver trim around the grill cloth, and it has 6 knobs. Doesn't yours have reverb? You should see that tanks they used---mine's mounted vertically and must be 18 inches long---spppprorororororornnnnnnnggggg! Have you even thought it was a little bright for some pedals? My doesn't sound very good with my OCD.

TV -

Yours sounds like a '67 - does it have 7591s too?

The reverb pan is mounted vertically in all the combos I believe. Sproing! is right - 4-spring Hammond reverb baby, total surf.

Of all the amps I've ever owned, my Reverberocket has been the toughest to match with an OD - I totally make an allowance for the fact that it sounds so great without effects. I run it dry next to my main effected rig for more clarity and punch - it sounds awesome...

• Members

I have the Reverbrocket 2X12 I picked up about a year ago - it has it's own sound for sure and I agree with previous comments that many Ampeg amps are underrated overall - they don't get the attention they deserve - especially the guitar amps - lots of folks around locally love the Ampeg Bass amps, but you just don't see anyone grabbing up the guitar ones. I got mine really cheap because the dealer was doing a close out on them cuz he couldn't get rid of them. Crazy.

Good thread just to see who all of us have tapped into Ampeg. :cool:

:wave:

Archived